Asterisk Voicemail Integration with Avaya S8700 over SIP

Good Day Everyone,
I have looked high and low and I must be missing something…
Is it possible to let Asterisk be the voicemail for an Avaya S8700 server using SIP trunking? I have seen many threads about doing it over T1 or Analog but nothing via SIP or even h323 for that matter. If someone has any ideas I would certainly appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

We have an Avaya SES running version 3.x with an Avaya S8700 on 3.1.4.
I am using Asterisk 1.4.23 under Redhat. We would be using the voicemail for approximately 600-700 users.

Thanks again!
Perry

well if you have the system already you could create a sip user tell asterisk to connect to the 8700 then setup a hunt group in the 8700 with the sip extension in it and create a cov path to that hunt group and make calls across. See if asterisk sees the call, then use NoOp() to see what dtmf would come across. If not you could by a tdm card and set it up with some analog stations from the 8700 and do it that way…or a t1 card i guess.

Thanks,
Good suggestion… I actually tried to set up a user in the SES and have Asterisk log in to the SES as a client. Unfortunately I am getting a SIP 423 Interval Too Short error message and can’t seem to get it resolved. So I guess I will try and get that worked out and follow your suggestion…
Thanks,
Perry