Asterisk v1.4 doesn't detect hangup

Hi,

I’ve been handed an asterisk v1.4.21.2 system to manage. I have a basic understanding of the technologies and capabilities, but don’t understand enough to figure this one out. I have an asterisk install running on an older fedora version with a connection to Cablevision Optimum Voice here in New York. For some reason asterisk doesn’t detect a hang-up. This results in a 3min voicemail with just a fast-busy sound. Outgoing calls work okay, but it also doesn’t detect when those calls have ended.

After reading, I believe the problem is due to some kind of signaling problem, but this is a recent problem and I don’t believe anything on the system has changed.

Here is the info I know. There are two fxo cards in the box, but only one line is being used now.
02:0a.0 Communication controller: Tiger Jet Network Inc. Tiger3XX Modem/ISDN interface
02:0b.0 Communication controller: Tiger Jet Network Inc. Tiger3XX Modem/ISDN interface

lsmod

Module Size Used by
zttranscode 10516 0
wcfxo 15428 0
wctdm 41520 4
zaptel 199976 17 zttranscode,wcfxo,wctdm
crc_ccitt 5896 1 zaptel

dmesg

Zapata Telephony Interface Registered on major 196
Zaptel Version: 1.4.12.1
Zaptel Echo Canceller: MG2
Freshmaker version: 73
Freshmaker passed register test
Module 0: Installed – AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
Module 1: Installed – AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
Module 2: Installed – AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
Module 3: Installed – AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
Found a Wildcard TDM: Wildcard TDM400P REV I (4 modules)
Found a Wildcard FXO: Wildcard X101P
zttranscode: Loaded.
Registered tone zone 0 (United States / North America)

I believe it is a zaptel interface?

ztcfg -d

Line 6: loadzone = us
Line 7: defaultzone=us
Line 12: fxsks=1-4
Line 17: fxsks=5

I don’t know what configuration parameters to provide to help troubleshoot this. I’ve run asterisk with debugging information, and I didn’t notice anything that would be useful. How can I have asterisk print its current configuration and parameters? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

I’m not entirely clear about the scenarios, but for outgoing PSTN calls to fixed lines, it is normal for the network not to release the call when the called party hangs up. This is done so that the called party can put one phone down and re-answer on a better phone. Calls to mobile numbers are normally released promptly.

To get disconnect supervision on the incoming call, you will need to find out how the line signals disconnect, and configure the zaptel (or preferably, dahdi) channel driver to match that. This assume that the FXO card is capable of detecting it. For a loop start line, that would typically be a line polarity reversal, but you may have to ask the phone company to enable this. They may require you to upgrade to a line intended for PABX use.

Obviously, detecting outgoing release also requires disconnect supervision.

[quote=“david55”]I’m not entirely clear about the scenarios, but for outgoing PSTN calls to fixed lines, it is normal for the network not to release the call when the called party hangs up. This is done so that the called party can put one phone down and re-answer on a better phone. Calls to mobile numbers are normally released promptly.

To get disconnect supervision on the incoming call, you will need to find out how the line signals disconnect, and configure the zaptel (or preferably, dahdi) channel driver to match that. This assume that the FXO card is capable of detecting it. For a loop start line, that would typically be a line polarity reversal, but you may have to ask the phone company to enable this. They may require you to upgrade to a line intended for PABX use.

Obviously, detecting outgoing release also requires disconnect supervision.[/quote]

Hi, thanks very much for the information. One of the inbound calls that’s not properly being disconnected is from a mobile phone.

I don’t understand, because I’ve had the same version of asterisk, same FXO card, and same Optimum Voice (for business) service for several years, and have never had this problem.

Can you point me to which parameters are necessary to control this line signal disconnect setting?

Thanks,
Alex

On dahdi, a typical one would be hanguponpolarityswitch=yes, however it will depend on how your PSTN provider has configured their line cards.

I would check with the provider and make sure you are getting “disconnect supervision”, we have the same issue with Charter Communications pots lines, we have to call them and tell them to turn that feature on so calls hang up