Asterisk locking up multiple times a day

Hello,

I have an asterisk server setup in Honduras at an Orphanage and am using iconnecthere to provide incoming and outgoing calls. I sent down and setup a VSAT dish which seems to be working very well for a satellite connection (very constant 600 - 700 ms pings). The phone quality is good.

Anyway, the problem I keep having is: Several times a day the system seems to just stop connecting in or out. When I check the active channels I see this:

emmanuelCLI> sip show channels
Peer User/ANR Call ID Seq (Tx/Rx) Format Last Msg
213.137.73.140 1423443433 4d2e30696ad 00397/00000 unknow(d)
1 active SIP channel(s)
emmanuel
CLI> restart now

As you see - I have to restart to clear the channel. any ideas why this would happen. Could it be related to satellite delays? I am stumped.

Thanks for any help.

Charles Ellis…

What version of Asterisk are you using ? Cause I seen that with old version, but it’s been some time now without any problem of this kind !

Show version gives:

Asterisk CVS-HEAD-08/01/05-21:21:33 built by root@emmanuel on a i686 running Linux

Well, your version is not old at all !

I don’t know, the only advise I can give you, it’s trying to use a stable version instead of CVS head.

But I cannot guaranty any better result.

Good luck !

[quote=“cdavellis”]Anyway, the problem I keep having is: Several times a day the system seems to just stop connecting in or out. When I check the active channels I see this:

emmanuelCLI> sip show channels
Peer User/ANR Call ID Seq (Tx/Rx) Format Last Msg
213.137.73.140 1423443433 4d2e30696ad 00397/00000 unknow(d)
1 active SIP channel(s)
emmanuel
CLI> restart now

As you see - I have to restart to clear the channel. any ideas why this would happen. Could it be related to satellite delays? I am stumped.[/quote]
It probably could be related to satellite delays - but i wouldn’t like to say for sure that it is. However, it does seem similar to a SIP problem i’ve been having for the last month or two.

What happens is registration with one or both of my european SIP providers fails (sip show registry reports them as “Failed”). The only way i seem to be able to clear this is to restart asterisk. I’ve worked out that what’s happening is asterisk’s registration attempts time out - 10 times in a row - and asterisk gives up.

To fix the problem, i’ve changed the following settings in asterisk/channels/chan_sip.c in the source code tree:

#define DEFAULT_REGISTRATION_TIMEOUT 40
#define DEFAULT_REGATTEMPTS_MAX 20

I changed those from 20 and 10 respectively - i.e., doubled the timeout time and doubled the number of attempts it will make when a registration attempt times out.

This seems to have done the trick. Something similar might work for you too. It’s possible that what’s happening with you is that the satellite delay is pushing the registration round-trip time closer to the timeout limit - and a bit of network congestion pushes it over the edge. Does asterisk report SIP registration as failed?

You should be able to see if this is what’s happening from the logs - registration failures should be recorded in /var/log/asterisk/messages .