Asterisk & Call Back

Hi All,

I am curious to know if anyone has successfully setup Asterisk to do CallBack on a commercial scale?

Currently we are using Asterisk for CallBack, however after many hours and heaps of reading i have come to the conclusion that Asterisk can not handle large amounts of calls I.E more then 30 Channels, am i right to believe this?

I have noticed that Asterisk begins to choke especially when there is maybe like 4-7 call back requests, and it chokes really bad as well.

What i am not sure of, is if the problem is Script Related, or whether Asterisk just simply can not handle this type of service.

So far i have decommissioned our Digium TE410P and just begun to use the Sangoma 104D card, whilst i am quite in Favour of the Sangoma card due to the robustness it has shown, we have eliminated the E-1 cards as being the problem, so it leaves me with a couple of things left to look at;

1. Scripts are failing under load, more so maybe the AGI/DEAD AGI is failing.

2. Asterisk can not handle high call volumes, and i should look to another System, which i cant entirely Discount, but if this is the case i will be deeply saddened by this, however i probably set my hopes up a little too high on Asterisk.

3. Our files are mis configured and may require someone in the know to look at them, which i cant discount this either as anything is a possibility.

If someone has managed to setup Asterisk before to carry out Call back Functions, i wouldn’t mind your opinion on the matter.

Cheers,

David.

there are users here with systems running with hundreds of simultaneous calls … not sure what the point of Digium selling quad-spam E1/T1 cards would be if it couldn’t handle more than a single span.

what method are you using for initiating the calls ?

[quote=“baconbuttie”]
what method are you using for initiating the calls ?[/quote]

Hey Baconbuttie,

Thanks for the reply :smile:

To answer your question, we are using Call Files to initiate the call back.

I take note in what you said with the rest of the post, i still wouldn’t mind hearing from those people that they are doing that where they have hundreds of calls going through at the same time.

Maybe it could just be our E-1 connectivity with Singtel our Carrier, but i am sure Asterisk is choking on me.

Cheers,

David.

Here is your problem, stop using the call files and use the manager, it is more optimised for this type of task.

[quote=“Dimitripietro”][quote=“TeleFone”]
To answer your question, we are using Call Files to initiate the call back.
[/quote]

Here is your problem, stop using the call files and use the manager, it is more optimised for this type of task.[/quote]

Thank you Dimitripietro,

Can i get you to elaborate a little further, when you say use the Manger what are referring to as i am only aware of the call file setup, if your able to link me to something to read up on it, set me in the right direction i would be greatly appreciative of your input.

Regards,

David.

After looking at this closely, using the call files might actually be the problem, the following reason is why;

Leg-A:

Leg-A is the initiating leg of the call back, this is where our system captures the call CLI of the Mobile, then the System generates a .Callfile to initiate the outbound call.

However the Point of failure appears to be right here.

Leg-B:

Leg-B does not use the .Callfile, it uses the AMI to initiate the call, well as it turns out, we don’t have a problem with calls being processed and reason all these funny errors such as “PBX_Spool.C:269 Attempt_thread: Call Failed To Go Through, Reason 8//& Reason 5///& Reason 1”

The call just goes through every time with the exception of the Leg-B user being unavailable for the different reasons.

What we are looking at implementing is using Telnet instead of .Callfiles to do the work, we have some learning to do to mimic the way the system works now, but i am sure it shouldn’t be too hard, but i suspect the problem we are having will go away.

it seems as though .Callfiles maynot be able to handle high call volumes, does not make sense why, but so far all indications are pointing towards the Call Files being the problem granted that the second leg does not fail.

If what we impliment works and no problems are disocvered, then i will be more then happy to post our solution up so others can avoid this problem, allthough i am not sure how long that will be as we have to learn this process from new, there doesnt appear to be much related to using Telnet for intiating call backs.

Cheers,

David.

hasn’t dimitripetro already said that ? insted of posting it here, why not update the wiki page ? voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+manager+API (and links at bottom)

hasn’t dimitripetro already said that ? insted of posting it here, why not update the wiki page ? voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+manager+API (and links at bottom)[/quote]

Thank You Baconbuttie,

Yes Dimitri did mention using the AMI, hence why we investigated Telnet.

And thank you about the Wiki Link, yes i will add link to that as well once we are done.

Cheers,

David.