Answering machine issues

The client of mine insisted on using Panasonic Cordless phones with the digital voicemail features. So I’m hooking the phones to GrandStream Handtone 286s. I’m running Asterisk on a Debian box and can call out and receive calls through Teliax just fine. However, when an incoming caller (after leaving a message) hangs up, the answering machine seems to keep the line alive with a very loud busy signal. It does this 3 times, then hangs up. The messages also record this sound, and it is very annoying.

Any ideas on how stop this? I was looking around and thinking that Asterisk is not detecting the hangup?

do you have a

exten > h,1,Hangup()

in the same context? it sounds like the channel is being held open

btw why are you not suggesting they use the asterisk voicemail system?

[quote=“aluminumpork”]The client of mine insisted on using Panasonic Cordless phones with the digital voicemail features. So I’m hooking the phones to GrandStream Handtone 286s. I’m running Asterisk on a Debian box and can call out and receive calls through Teliax just fine. However, when an incoming caller (after leaving a message) hangs up, the answering machine seems to keep the line alive with a very loud busy signal. It does this 3 times, then hangs up. The messages also record this sound, and it is very annoying.

Any ideas on how stop this? I was looking around and thinking that Asterisk is not detecting the hangup?[/quote]

I tried placing a hang up at the end.

Here is what the context currently looks like, (from memory)…

[ext1]

phonenumber,1,Dial(SIP/grandstream1,20)
phonenumber,2,Hangup

And yet the line hangs and goes to a fast busy signal when caller hangs up after recording their message.

As far as the Asterisk voicemail system goes, I would normally recommend it, but since we’re using PSTN phones, I can’t really think of a good way to blatantly notify of a message, besides email.

Thanks.

[quote=“aluminumpork”]I tried placing a hang up at the end.

Here is what the context currently looks like, (from memory)…

[ext1]

phonenumber,1,Dial(SIP/grandstream1,20)
phonenumber,2,Hangup

And yet the line hangs and goes to a fast busy signal when caller hangs up after recording their message.

As far as the Asterisk voicemail system goes, I would normally recommend it, but since we’re using PSTN phones, I can’t really think of a good way to blatantly notify of a message, besides email.

Thanks.[/quote]

in context [ext1] add an extension h

extension h, is triggered on hangup

[ext1]

exten => h,1,Hangup()

Hi

The problem is not with asterisk. its the phone. This is very common with answering machines off PBXs. The HT is not sending any CPC signal that the answering machine is expecting. So it just hangs on, But it does recognise fast busy so when it hears that it hangs up.

What you need to do is check the HT to see if it can send a disconnect signal that the answering machine understands

hmm… I haven’t had a chance to tried to add in the h extension yet (i’ll have a chance next week), but ianplain, if you could explain a little more about what you mean I’d be grateful.

Hi

Its very simple.

If party A ia the ans mach and party b is the caller.

B calls A
B hangs UP

• hangs up the call
    A will not hang up unless it sees a signal telling it the call has ended.
    so A will recieve busytone

Try it your self.

As I said this is very common.

Yes, I understand that, but how can I accomplish sending the answering machine a signal that it will understand.

You may not be able to, you would need to get into the HT and see if there is a setting to change.

Hmm… Yeah, I was looking through the settings on the HT, but the only thing even remotely close to something useful what the “Reverse Polarity on Hang Up” option. I tried that, but no change.

Anyone a Handy Tone expert here?

You could either switch ATAs to something that generates open loop CPC, which is probably what the Panasonic expects or get a device to convert the reversal into an open loop.