What IP phone would you suggest for a hotel?

I was thinking that a hotel telephone (for guests) is a special kind. It cannot be as simple as a home phone or as fancy and full of buttons as a business phone. It must have a blinking light for messages (what else?). Not sure if black is the most desirable color - remember that in hotels towels, bathrobes, etc. are as white as they can possibly get.

One would think that there must be a exploding demand for hotel IP phones these days, right?

-Ramon

I would go with an y rugged simple phone. I think any of the Linksys/Sipura phones would be good.

Hi

Hotel handsets are a strange beast

Tradionally they would have the following

Pass through port for modem (problem for voip)
Hot keys for the following
Reception
Bar
Room service
House keeping

(These would be custom printed, as would the handset its self)

Message lite

have a look at microncommunications.co.uk/B … ochure.pdf for examples

Ian

[quote=“ianplain”]Hi

Hotel handsets are a strange beast

Tradionally they would have the following

Pass through port for modem (problem for voip)

Ian[/quote]

Hi Ian!

I wouldn’t worry too much about support for modems. In fact, what was a modem again? I seem to recall those vaguely… :smile:

If a hotel is going to the trouble and expense of deploying Ethernet (probably wired, for the phones) you may as well deploy another Ethernet port (some phones come one extra, built in) for Internet access.

The express buttons are a very good point. I had forgotten all about those.

-Ramon

depends on your budget.

grandstream is a good cheap solution, their budgetone 101 and 102 dont have speed buttons but thier is another version that does and is cheap that i have used that works nicely.

If you just have a lot of money, then you can look into polycom.
Depends what type of hotel joint your running I suppose :smiley:

I was just discussing this with a colleague. I told him that even if Bill Gates needed a recommendation for a home phone, I would strongly argue against Polycom… and I am writing this from my SOHO, with two of the brand new, high end and medium Polycoms -IP550 & IP430- on my desk.

The fundamental reason is that Polycom phones have a speaker that is optimized for hands free use, but their ringing simply sucks. I couldn’t believe it how soft their sound is. It is almost imperceptible. You can barely hear them sitting next to them.

This makes sense in an office environment, with co-workers around, but never in a home or hotel.

-Ramon

[quote=“RamonFHerrera”][quote=“CustomGT”]
If you just have a lot of money, then you can look into Polycom.
[/quote]

I was just discussing this with a colleague. I told him that even if Bill Gates needed a recommendation for a home phone, I would strongly argue against Polycom… and I am writing this from my SOHO, with two of the brand new, high end and medium Polycoms -IP550 & IP430- on my desk.

The fundamental reason is that Polycom phones have a speaker that is optimized for hands free use, but their ringing simply sucks. I couldn’t believe it how soft their sound is. It is almost imperceptible. You can barely hear them sitting next to them.

This makes sense in an office environment, with co-workers around, but never in a home or hotel.

-Ramon[/quote]

I had the same problem, but check this out forums.digium.com/viewtopic.php? … highlight=
That’s how I fixed them, I turned the gain up, and now at max volume they are VERY loud.

[quote=“RamonFHerrera”]I was thinking that a hotel telephone (for guests) is a special kind. It cannot be as simple as a home phone or as fancy and full of buttons as a business phone. It must have a blinking light for messages (what else?). Not sure if black is the most desirable color - remember that in hotels towels, bathrobes, etc. are as white as they can possibly get.

One would think that there must be a exploding demand for hotel IP phones these days, right?

-Ramon[/quote]

teledex.com/index.cfm?page=L … tentid=446

-RFH

Damn those are ssweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

[quote=“RamonFHerrera”][quote=“CustomGT”]
If you just have a lot of money, then you can look into Polycom.
[/quote]

-Ramon[/quote]

Is it just me, or is the polycom web configuration screwed up?
In the ext field you have to put in the sip server!

how did that pass QA, it took me probably 1.5 hours to figure that one out.
I noticed this on 2 different models too.

Don’t get me started with Polycom! Suffice to say that it is the worst technology company I have ever had the misfortune of working with.

BUT the sound of their phones is the best available.

[quote=“CustomGT”]
how did that pass QA, it took me probably 1.5 hours to figure that one out.
I noticed this on 2 different models too.[/quote]

Seriously, that poor -not to mention arrogant- kind of customer “service” and technical “support” seems to be an intrinsic part of their business model.

-Ramon

I suggest you get cheap grandstreams for the rooms. People HARLY use hotel phones- and grandstream is known for echo issues. So it’s not you’re headache really. Nobody is going to pay attention to echos because they know that 5 minutes of talk time is going to cost them around $25

But, for internal calls (room service, etc.) there should be no issues with echo.

For receptionist desks, get Linksys 942s if they want 4 line cheap GOOD quality phones. Or Polycom phones. The 2 line phones are in the same price range as Linksys 942 but they’re FAR MORE better with quality. Polycom does offer 4 line phones, but they’re double the price.

If the reception desk needs 6 line phones, you can get the Linksys 962

Visit voipsupply.com for all this

I would recommend snom phones

snow with firmware 6.2.3 dont ask…