VOIP provider quality

I’ve been having quality issues with my current provider. They claim that by switching to SIP from IAX, I will get better results. I’ll give that a try but can anyone comment on the liklihood of this actually helping at all?

It depends on your network / their network setup. SIP/RTP works well but requires a lot of open ports on a firewall or specific setup to function. The biggest issue I’ve found is a lot of providers actually resell connectivity which means the RTP streams could come from different IP addresses than you expect (had this problem recently where I was getting full SIP communication but only 1-way audio.) IAX works around this by having signalling (session control / management / whatever you want to call it) along side the audio streams on a single port. Works much better for firewall / NAT communications. The biggest issue I’ve found with IAX is device support and some loss of flexibility at the gain of simplicity…

My advice would be try it but ask them what will they do if it still doesn’t help…