Using the 729 codec

Hello

I’m with a provider right now that supports the 729 codec or I think its also called alaw if I’m not mistaking. Do I need to configure or install anything new to use this codec? or its just the matter of changing to it?

Thank You

You are mistaking. a-law and u-law it’s different flavors of g.711 codec 64kbps (80kbps)
G.729 is 8kbps (20kbps) high quality high compression codec. In order to use it you have to buy a license priced per concurent call. Patent holder is collecting this fee and you cannot get it free. Besides that it requeres some special codec hardware or really powerfull host computer for software implementations.

[quote=“tvman_od”]You are mistaking. a-law and u-law it’s different flavors of g.711 codec 64kbps (80kbps)
G.729 is 8kbps (20kbps) high quality high compression codec. In order to use it you have to buy a license priced per concurent call. Patent holder is collecting this fee and you cannot get it free. Besides that it requeres some special codec hardware or really powerfull host computer for software implementations.[/quote]

I see, Thanks for your reply

Is there anything as good or close to good as ulaw that uses less bandwidth and most providers support it? I have a connection with a upload rate of 364 Kbps per second and I want to be able to roughly handle 6 concurrent connection. Am I better off sticking to G. 711 for the time being?

you could do worse than ask your provider what they support. i think most Asterisk users opt for GSM if they don’t want to pay for g729 licences (or use one of the “free” implementations)

actually it’s something like $10 per line. So if you can afford $60 you good to go. 6 calls is 6x20=120kbps plus some padding 150, plus sip signaling 160. So your 300+kbps should be good. Here is another problem. G.729 is computing extensive codec, so to avoid qality degradation is’s better not to use the asterisk box for anything else.

Regarding “free” implementations can say that it’s not actually free. You’re allowed to use it for education purposes for a limited time. So it’s free for development and experimental stuff or testing and not for production system. Nobody will send police to your house or office but you should understand that you are violating the law and stealing somebodys property which they actually sell.