Systems build

I was hoping some users could post their hardware setup such as:

MOBO ? make and model
CPU
RAM
Hard drive capacity/interface (Raid config, if any)

Add-on cards (if any)

Please give expected allowable concurrent connections along with real world verifiable connections since you have put system in play. I know there are a lot of variables, so i’m not looking for anything specific or to be debated, just looking up to those with experience.

TIA

~r

perhaps you could look in the wiki, where this question has been answered already … voip-info.org/tiki-index.php … mensioning

Thank you, and yes i have looked at that many times. Im interested in those who build their own machines and would like to see what other users are commited to in regards to system hardware; mainly Motherboards / CPU combo.

Eg. ABIT NF8-V2, Athlon 64 w/ 1 gig ram.

~r

[quote="*@acerasystems.com"]
Thank you, and yes i have looked at that many times. Im interested in those who build there own machines and would like to see what other users are commited to in regards to system hardware; mainly Motherboards / CPU combo.

Eg. ABIT NF8-V2, Athlon 64 w/ 1 gig ram.

~r[/quote]

Hello Acersystem.com :smile:

Below are the specs wich i generaly build all my Asterisk Systems on.

Housing: I usualy build in 2RU rack mount cases with Dual Power Supply, good of back-up incase one powersupply decides to die.

Motherboard: Anything that is Intel Serverside Chipset based, And i generaly stick with Server boards, i avoid anything to do with Asus and use either Intel based boards, Biostar or Tyan boards.

CPU’s: I only ever build Dual Xeon Systems, generaly cause these systems are built for Commericial reasons, and not for personal use. The processor speeds at the moment i am using are Xeon 3.2Ghz, and i have to say they are damn fast :smile:

HDD: Well this one is tricky as i often get into major debates with other people over this, but i use Western Digital 74GB 10,000 RPM Raptor Drives, they are reliable, damn fast and perfect for long time operations.

RAM: Intel Certified ECC Memory, and normaly anything over 2GB but usualy between 4 & 8 GB of memory is the way for me to go when building them.

OS: At the moment now we only use Linux Fedora Core 4, we have found it to be the most stable, compatible and best suited to run these types of systems.

Other niggly bits, is that i allways have to have Dual Gigabit Nic’s in the boxes, that is an absaloute must and normaly i just get the serverside Mainboard that has this allready built into it.

Other things we use are the Digium the TE410P cards to be more precise, the are perfect for TDM based services and are easily configurable.

So far the best we have seen with conccurent calls is about 5 thousand SIP based calls activley moving over the network, with very little System resources being consumed at that time, i dare say the system is capable of handling much more, easpecially if they were all using G.729 Codec, however there is a mixture of all of them.

Any TDM Based calls are not really of concern since the TE card handles most of the processing which eases a huge burden of the CPU’s.

Well that is what i work with, and use and have had no failures to date yet (Quickly touches wood). I think you will find it all comes down to what you want out of the system and what you want to use it for.

Cheers,

David.

Hello DavidT,

I would like to know if it possible to establish over than 200 IAX(trunked)<->IAX(tunked) calls simultaneously with your Hardware configuration?

Thanks

IBM NetVista 1.6Ghz, 256MB SDRAM 40GB HDD.
Deb 3.1 + Asterisk 1.2

I’m expecting to have max 20 simultaneous calls. So far I’ve tried it w/ 5-8 - still ok.