SLA - question about SLAStation() function

While trying to get SLA running (which I do, mostly), I’ve run into an “interesting” behavior that I did not expect. I’m using the dialplan code from the SLA.pdf doc (with only station & line names changed) along with code to allow paging extensions by dialing the extension number:

In extensions.conf:

[macro-PageExt]
exten=s,1,ChanIsAvail(${ARG1}|js)
exten=s,2,SIPAddHeader(Call-Info: answer-after=0)
;;exten=s,3,Dial(${ARG1})
exten=s,3,Page(${ARG1}|d)
exten=s,4,NoOp();
exten=s,5,Hangup

[PageOneExt]
exten=_1XX,1,Macro(PageExt,SIP/${EXTEN})
exten=_1XX,2,Hangup

[sla_stations]
include = PageOneExt
exten = 131,1,SLAStation(131)
exten = 131_AnalogLine1,hint,SLA:131_AnalogLine1
exten = 131_AnalogLine1,1,SLAStation(131_AnalogLine1)
exten = 131_AnalogLine2,hint,SLA:131_AnalogLine2
exten = 131_AnalogLine2,1,SLAStation(131_AnalogLine2)

etc. for other extensions 132, 133, 134

Now, when I want to call another extension if I dial the extension number (i.e. 131), all I get is an outside line. I do not get the extension. What purpose is the first line:

exten = 131,1,SLAStation(131)

supposed to serve? This is the line causing trouble. I know that I could (should?) change my “page” macro to use something like “*131” to page an extension. But the question in my mind remains: Why does that line in the [sla_stations] section cause dialing an extension (from ANY other extension) to grab an outside line?

Bob.[/i]

That’s expected for SLA behavior.

When you pick up the line that’s been bridged to all the other stations, you’re picking up the outside line directly.

If you equate it to the old 1A2 key system phones, it’s a bit easier to understand. Each phone had buttons that directly accessed the incoming outside lines. If you press a button for outside access, you have dial tone from the outside, but not the ability to call the other stations directly.

The thing to do is designate a button for the bridged outside line, and a second button for extension to extension calls and intercom.

Thank you for your response. There is still something that my dense head cannot understand:

[quote=“dufus”]That’s expected for SLA behavior.

When you pick up the line that’s been bridged to all the other stations, you’re picking up the outside line directly.
[/quote]

But I am not (intentionally) picking up the bridged line, and in fact am intentionally trying NOT to use the bridged (outside) line.

[quote]If you equate it to the old 1A2 key system phones, it’s a bit easier to understand. Each phone had buttons that directly accessed the incoming outside lines. If you press a button for outside access, you have dial tone from the outside, but not the ability to call the other stations directly.

The thing to do is designate a button for the bridged outside line, and a second button for extension to extension calls and intercom.[/quote]

That is what I’ve done. One button grabs an outside line, and another is supposed to directly call the other extension. But if I leave the

line active, I cannot dial from extension to extension. When I pick up a phone and get the internal dial tone, then dial “131” (either manually or by pressing a button on the phone which is programmed to dial “131”) Asterisk/SLA ignores the extension number and connects me to an outside line.

I don’t know the old 1A2 key system. But the key system we currently have (ISOETEC EZ-1/36) allows you to, from an internal dial tone, dial an extension (31 for example) or select an outside line (91 for example).

I’ve commented out the

line (and all similar lines for other extensions) and the rest of SLA appears to still work OK. This then allows me to directly dial my other extensions.

I guess now my question boils down to: If I leave that line commented out, am I leaving out some crucial piece of the SLA state machine? Or is it really OK to leave this line out and the rest will work OK?

Bob.

If you’ve setup the station with one extension and two appearances of that extension, it won’t matter which button you select. It will pick up the outside line. The multiple appearances don’t matter to Asterisk. Having multiple appearances of the same extension is a function of the phone. When you pick up one or the other of the appearances, the phone doesn’t do anything differently. Asterisk reacts the same way, and connects you to the outside line.

You would need to register 2 individual extensions (SIP accounts) on the phone. 131 would be the SLA extension and 132 would be the station-to-station/intercom extension.

Then you could call extension 132 and not conflict with the SLA extension.

I thought slastation was the way to bridge the line to a button on a sip phone,
if you want to direct dial an extension wouldnt you setup the actual extension number on the button on the phone?
On my gxp2000 phones I just select BLF, and then put the extension number
522 in. I have hints setup for all extension so that when they are offhook I can see. I hope that helps