SetVar vs. Set, and crashing

Recently my Asterisk server has been randomly shutting down on me (not exactly crashing, nothing informative in the logs, just suddenly isn’t running anymore). I’ve finally narrowed it down to happening when we receive a fax. Apparently one of the updates to Asterisk has changed the syntax as I now get the following warning right before the asterisk process shuts down:

pbx.c: SetVar is deprecated, please use Set instead.

I didn’t put the 2 together earlier because deprecated doesn’t usually mean “will crash the process without any errors logged” :smile: Unfortunately, all the documentation that I’m finding still refers to using “SetVar” and not “Set”. Is it the same syntax, other than the command name? Here’s the offending line in my config:

exten => fax,1,SetVar(FAXFILE=/Commons/IncomingFaxes/${UNIQUEID}.tif)

Thanks,
Brian

Here’s the Voip-Info wiki link:
voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+cmd+Set

The syntax is:
Set(variablename=value[|variable2=value2][|options])

Oh and by the way, you might want to take a look at your core dump files, run them through gdb and do a full backtrace to see where the crash is occurring.

That’s part of the problem… I don’t get a core file… It’s just all of a sudden Asterisk is no longer running. No core dump, no error in any log, no shutdown indications in any logs, etc. It’s just “not running/not in the process list” all of a sudden!

That’s definitely odd…wish I could be of more help. Good luck, and if you find out what was causing it, fill us in, it’s always good to find out what the solution was for a problem.

Well, it’s not due to the Set vs. SetVar, but continues to happen each time we receive a fax! Still no core file or log entries. I’m monitoring from the “asterisk -r -vvvvvvvvv” console now… :smile:

I appear to have reached an impasse.

It’s definitely the fax receive functionality. Asterisk stops running at the point at which the fax processing should (used to) begin. Replicated it while watching at the -r console, and there’s no useful output, just all of a sudden the shell prompt comes up and Asterisk is no longer running!

I threw together a Java app that fires off through crontab and checks up on Asterisk once a minute and if it’s not running, it restarts it. At least that’ll let our system come back up relatively quick (and without user intervention). However, I have no idea what to do next in troubleshooting this problem.