Rxfax does not work on incoming external calls

I (asterisk newbee) am testing with fax-receiving with rxfax.

In extensions.conf I have for example:

exten => 2222,1,rxfax(/test/testfax.tif) exten => 2222,2,Hangup
This works, rxfax answers with fax-tones when I locally dial 2222.

But when using this setup is used for incoming calls from my sip-provider the line is not answered by asterisk. It does not make a difference if I have the ‘answer’ statement in the script.

So this does not work:

exten => xxxx,1,rxfax(/test/testfax.tif) exten => xxxx,2,Hangup (xxxx is my sip-accountname) When this part of extensions.conf is replaced by voicemail script, or any other ‘talking’ script, it works fine. Only ‘rxfax’ does not seem to work.

When calling from a PSTN landline to my sip-provider-number, I can see the incoming call on the asterisk terminal screen, I see rxfax starting-up, but the line is not ‘picked-up’ by asterisk, the connection is not established seen from the pstn line. (It does not make a difference if I use the Answer statement)

Any idea’s where I have to look ? Could it be a ‘rights’ thing not allowing scripts when called from external or something like that ?

the default incomming is to extension s not 2222 in what ever context you have as default.

I am assuming this is advertised as a fax only number.
So… in your sip.conf for your incomming number set the context to something like [fax-in]

Then in extensions.conf add a context:

[fax-in]
exten => s,1,answer()
exten => s,2,rxfax(/test/testfax.tif)
exten => s,3,Hangup

That should work

[quote=“pbudden”]the default incomming is to extension s not 2222 in what ever context you have as default.

I am assuming this is advertised as a fax only number.
So… in your sip.conf for your incomming number set the context to something like [fax-in]

Then in extensions.conf add a context:

[fax-in]
exten => s,1,answer()
exten => s,2,rxfax(/test/testfax.tif)
exten => s,3,Hangup

That should work[/quote]
I have this setup and tested this already, but it does not work…

When I replace the ‘rxfax’ line by for example a sip/dial-phone command, it works. Also when instead of the rxfax I use a voicemail-prompt line, this also works.

So conclusion is that this extensions.conf setup should work, but only rxfax does not really answer the line, or the call is not properly setup/answered/terminated.

If I use rxfax as an extension it works when I dial this number, so locally rxfax also works.

:confused: