RTCP changes since 1.8?

Hi everyone,

I just upgraded from FreePBX 11 and Asterisk 1.8 to FreePBX 13 and Asterisk 13. When I did this, one of my soft-phones started dropping some outbound calls at ~30 seconds.

The behavior was inconsistent… from the same phone, through the same outbound route, using the same trunk and through the same firewall, some calls would last indefinitely and others would drop.

The soft-phone was X-Lite. It has a setting to drop calls after 30 seconds if no RTCP’s are received. This is it’s default setting and it has been working flawlessly for 5 years.

The only thing changed in the environment was the upgrade of FreePBX and Asterisk… no phones, firewalls, etc were modified.

So… what happened between Asterisk 1.8 and v13 that would suddenly cause RTCP problems? Was something added or taken away? Is there a new setting I should look at? I’m curious as to why there was only a problem on external SIP trunks and not internal connections. Also, why only on outbound calls? Inbound calls never failed. Why does it only affect soft-phones… no other SIP extensions (Grandstream and Mitel) were affected? The behavior was new and completely unpredictable. Ugh!

I saw there is now a setting called “rtpkeepalive=0” (default) that I could not find in my 1.8 configuration. Should this be set to something higher than 0? Would this RTP setting have any affect on RTCP actions?

If anyone out there can give me some background on what changed, and how RTCP plays into calls, it would be really appreciated.

Thanks to you all in advance,
-M

There’s been numerous changes to RTCP since then, and I haven’t seen any issues reported against X-Lite about it…

As for settings there are none that I can think of that would cause this to happen. A packet capture of the RTP and RTCP would be helpful though, as well as console output and general information about network topology.

Some, or all versions of X-Lite are broken with respect to re-INVITEs. I believe there may have been a change in the default setting of directmedia.