Recording quality different from on call quality

I am starting a new topic because I don’t seem to be getting any bites on the last one (Extremely poor recording quality - Asterisk 11). My issue is that I have 2 SIP trunk devices. They are both from the same company, the only real difference is one accepts 8 sim cards, the other 44.

In either case, the audio quality of the phone calls are great, but when recording anything while using the new 44 slot device, the quality is terrible. This is really confusing to me. How can my call sound great, but the recording not?

It is easy to blame the device (http://www.openvox.cn/products/voip-gateways/210/64/3g-gateway/vs-gw2120-3g-series-1-detail.html), but from the call quality, it seems like it is doing it’s job correctly, it seems like an Asterisk / sox issue, but not sure what to troubleshoot there.

I am using Asterisk 11 from the latest free Elastix version on a Dell R610 w/ 16GB RAM.

Because call and recording are not related.[quote=“ajhalls, post:1, topic:71013”]
It is easy to blame the device (http://www.openvox.cn/products/voip-gateways/210/64/3g-gateway/vs-gw2120-3g-series-1-detail.html), but from the call quality, it seems like it is doing it’s job correctly, it seems like an Asterisk / sox issue, but not sure what to troubleshoot there.
[/quote]
The issue is how are you recording it. The specs of your server and mostly the type or hard-disk drive and the load of your CPU during the mixing.

If your CPU is under heavy load during the call recording then it will be an issue, also the timing during the recording or if your hard-disk is old enough. Basically most of the commercial apps out there records into a different server when the server handle massive call to avoid this.

And please do not open new threads only because you don’t like the responses in the original one.

Thanks for the reply Navaismo, I worked till midnight last night with the tech support from OpenVox and we finally found the issue. There is something funny with their Ethernet ports on the new box where port 1 can only see slot 1, to see the others I plugged into port 2, but had left port 1 also plugged in - which effectively gave it 2 routes with the same IP…

That would be why it was recording 50% slower, because in a round robin of receiving it would take a packet from port 1, then port 2, then port 1 again, but only 1 of them would have data. Unplugging one of them resolved all the issues.

PS - It wasn’t that I didn’t like the responses from the first thread, I was the only one talking on it which led me to believe I needed to reword my problem to get a response.