Order of codecs in outgoing SDP (PJSIP)

Hi all,

I have Asterisk 13.21 with PJSIP endpoints A and B.
In order to enable all the supported audio and video codecs, allow=all parameter is set for both endpoints.
A call is coming from endpoint A and is routed to endpoint B according to the dialplan.

Could you clarify in which order codecs in outgoing INVITE towards endpoint B are announced:

• Asterisk respects the order in SDP received from endpoint A, or

• Asterisk sends codecs in some fixed order?

If the latter is correct, where is this order defined?

Thank you.

The codec negotiation for chan_sip was the following

; Codec negotiation
;
; When Asterisk is receiving a call, the codec will initially be set to the
; first codec in the allowed codecs defined for the user receiving the call
; that the caller also indicates that it supports. But, after the caller
; starts sending RTP, Asterisk will switch to using whatever codec the caller
; is sending.
;
; When Asterisk is placing a call, the codec used will be the first codec in
; the allowed codecs that the callee indicates that it supports. Asterisk will
; *not* switch to whatever codec the callee is sending.

it is documented on the sip sample file, I dont know if for pjsip it is the same , it will be needed a sip trace to determine it

Thank you @ambiorixg12
The first thing (as you noticed) is that this instruction is related to chan_sip.
The other is that "When Asterisk is placing a call, the codec used will be the first codec in the allowed codecs " - but what is the order if allow=all parameter is set?

If no-one knows it for sure, I will set up this simple config in a lab and collect traces.

I don’t think there really is a defined/documented/guaranteed order for “allow=all”. For most people you should explicitly specify codecs, which defines the preference order.

I remember years a go there was a no desired behavior when allow=all was set in the codec selection, of course it was an old version of Asterisk

Thank you @jcolp
So, to allow all the codecs in a predictable order, I should take them from core show codecs and list explicitly?
Is there any way to respect the order of the codecs received from the originating party? Or Asterisk as a pure B2BUA will not respect it?

The preference order of Asterisk is what is used. If you don’t see an option to change that in the wiki documentation, then it doesn’t exist.

I thought the A side preferred codec was put to the front of the list on the B side.

For outgoing that may be correct these days - there were times where it flip flopped back and forth as things developed. They are still independently negotiated, though.