No ethernet interface found for seeding global EID

Hello everyone,

I’d like to address a minor query I’ve encountered recently. It’s not quite a pressing issue as it hasn’t seemed to impede our system’s functionality, but it’s piqued my curiosity since I began working with our current configuration.

Whenever I connect to Asterisk, whether it’s to execute a single command (asterisk -rx) or to delve into the Asterisk CLI (asterisk -rvvvv), I consistently receive the following alert:

root@mac16:~# asterisk -rvvvv
No ethernet interface found for seeding global EID. You will have to set it manually.
Asterisk 18.17.1, Copyright (C) 1999 - 2022, Sangoma Technologies Corporation and others.
Created by Mark Spencer markster@digium.com
Asterisk comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; type ‘core show warranty’ for details.
This is free software, with components licensed under the GNU General Public
License version 2 and other licenses; you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain conditions. Type ‘core show license’ for details.

Connected to Asterisk 18.17.1 currently running on mac16 (pid = 403)
Parsing /etc/asterisk/logger.conf
Core debug is still 3.
mac16*CLI>

I’m curious about the significance of the warning “No ethernet interface found for seeding global EID.” Should I be concerned about this? Upon researching, I’ve found conflicting information. Some suggest it may be related to the pbx_dundi module, which I haven’t even compiled since it’s not in use. Others propose it’s linked to the naming of my network adapter. Given that I’m running Asterisk in a container, I don’t have a network adapter named “eth0”; instead, it’s named “venet0.” Could this discrepancy be the root cause? Is this something worth further attention?
Thank you in advance for any insights!

It’s an entity identifier based on the MAC address of interfaces used for certain functionality when exchanging information. It’s unlikely you’ll need it, but if so then an explicit one can be configured in asterisk.conf[1]

[1] asterisk/configs/samples/asterisk.conf.sample at master · asterisk/asterisk · GitHub

Mine is the default one, but uncommented. So if I want to get rid of this alert, should I put my network adapter’s mac address in place of the default one, right?

The message would still occur. Just ignore it. If you think you’ll maybe use functionality it is used in, set the entity id manually.

Oh, okay. Thank you very much for clarifying and for your patience and time!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.