Newbie: getting basic SIP dialplan working

OK, I’m new to both asterisk and to Linux, so I realize I’m running at quite a disadvantage here, but I’m hoping I can ask a question intelligently enough to invite an answer.

I’m running Debian Linux and Asterisk 1.4.10 (I think… how do I check?). I have not installed a GUI on my Linux box; I’m using the bash shell.

I set up the basic dialplan in chapter 5 of Asterisk_TFOT.pdf:

[incoming]
exten => s,1,Answer()
exten => s,2,Playback(hello-world)
exten => s,3,Hangup()

I have no FXS/FXO hardware; just an Ethernet connection.

I’m attempting to call my Asterisk box using a softphone. I don’t know what to dial so I’m dialing something@mydomain.com for various values of ‘something’.

I did not edit zapata.conf. [Edit] I believe this is probably my problem, but I’m not far enough in the tutorial to know how to solve this [/Edit]

SIP.conf has:

[general]
context = default
srvlookup=yes

and one ‘friend’ defined.

When I call my server with a softphone, the debug spew from the server says “Cannot find extension context ‘default’” and the client indicates that the server gave a “Not Found” response.

I’d like to place a call and get the hello world reply. I’m not sure if my current problem is server side or client side, or where the error would be on the server.

Can anyone suggest what step I did wrong?

Thanks!

NogginBoink

Hello,
the main problem is that you specified the dialplan for extensions under the context [incoming] in the extensions.conf, but in the sip.conf you have only [default] context. You need to read thet chapter 5 and try to understand the connection between different .conf files which is realized vie the contexts’ connection.
Good luck!

I forget to say: you have nothing to do with zapata.conf to get a call.
And you can know the Asterisk version if you type “show version” when connected to the asterisk command line.

Hi NogginBoink!
To test basic dial plan working with soft phone. You can do as follow:

In sip.conf
[100]
type=friend
secret=100
host=dynamic
context=incoming
In extension.conf
[incoming]
exten => 999,1,Playback(hello-world)
exten => 999,2,Hangup
Please notice the bold ones, it must be the same (in this case: incoming)
Now, you login by soft phone with user=100 and password=100. After confirmed that your soft phone logged in, you dial 999 and will be heard the hello-world sound file before hangup.
And yes, your sip basic dial plan have nothing to do with zapata.conf file
Your sincerely!
Duc Viet To Ho

Hi NogginBoink!
To test basic dial plan working with soft phone. You can do as follow:

In sip.conf
[100]
type=friend
secret=100
host=dynamic
context=incoming
In extension.conf
[incoming]
exten => 999,1,Playback(hello-world)
exten => 999,2,Hangup
Please notice the bold ones, it must be the same (in this case: incoming)
Now, you login by soft phone with user=100 and password=100. After confirmed that your soft phone logged in, you dial 999 and will be heard the hello-world sound file before hangup.
And yes, your sip basic dial plan have nothing to do with zapata.conf file
Your sincerely!
Duc Viet To Ho