Need help with ISDN2

Hi,

I’m lost in the wood, and need help.

I want to get ISDN working (2 * HFC card)

What do I need to install/do besides Asterisk (1.4.5) ?

What is the relation between zaptel/libpri/mISDN etc. I can’t see the complete picture. Please anyone, try to explain what steps I need to get this started.

Thanks,

Mike.

Asterisk is the core part.
Zaptel and libpri are modules which handle interfacing with PRI interface and FXO cards etc in Zaptel’s case. Misdn is a driver which loads in kernel to interface with your HFC cards.

In your case you will not use libpri or zaptel.

Although it would be wise to install them anyway.

You need to start with a machine with kernel 2.6.15 or better due to many reason stated with problems with the misdn kernel module. misdn.org and get both misdn, misdn-user. I just did a manual install of these, and you can choose to make it a loadable module or build it in the kernel.

As per README then go to /etc/init.d and do misdn-init scan, then misdn-init config. This should find your card/s and create misdn-init.conf in /etc. This gets used to fire up the kernel module at boot before asterisk starts and tries to use it. You can try misdn at this time by doing /etc/init.d/misdn-init start. Then check for MISDNStackD in your processes. You mentioned 2 x HFC cards so you might want to look at the bridging options. No experience here for you though sorry. The cards join together I think in hardware ??

Build zaptel, and make etc as per normal.

untar asterisk, and ./configure then make, then make menuselect.
This will fire up a basic menu stating what you want included in your asterisk install. If your misdn install went fine earlier misdn will be seen in option 3 I think ? It’s in one of them … fails me at the mo sorry.
make install once options have been saved.

Before starting asterisk you need to put in misdn.conf file in /etc/asterisk so when asterisk starts it knows how drive the misdn card. misdn.conf depends on how your ISDN is configured of course.

After you have files in place, start asterisk. Connect to the asterisk CLI with asterisk -r and enter misdn show stacks, and it should show state of misdn as per your setup.

To receive calls misdn will direct calls to the context you specified in misdn.conf. To make calls add into extensions.conf in the context you use for outbound calls Dial(misdn/g:“your misdn context”/${EXTEN})

Check www.beronet.com for more detailed info.

Need any more help give me a hoy … trying to put back something into this project, and if it’s just helping others through the same troubles I’ve been through already it’s better than nothing.

Mines running on Centos 5 with 2.6.18 kernel with * 1.4.5 with Digium B410P.

Great post Brett. I could have done with that information a week ago!

I second the kernel thing. Digium told me 2.6.15 or above and sure enough it resolved my BRI problem.

I hope someone can help out here.

Followed the scripts to install mISDN on Asterisk 1.4.4 and Admins Paradise …

[color=blue][root@paradise ~]# mISDN scan
1 mISDN compatible device(s) found:

hfcpci
[root@paradise ~]#[/color]

OK!

[color=blue][root@paradise ~]# mISDN start
– Loading mISDN modules –

/sbin/modprobe --ignore-install capi
/sbin/modprobe --ignore-install mISDN_core debug=0
/sbin/modprobe --ignore-install mISDN_l1 debug=0
/sbin/modprobe --ignore-install mISDN_l2 debug=0
/sbin/modprobe --ignore-install l3udss1 debug=0
/sbin/modprobe --ignore-install mISDN_capi
/sbin/modprobe --ignore-install hfcpci protocol=0x2 layermask=0xf
/sbin/modprobe --ignore-install mISDN_dsp debug=0 options=0

[color=green]OK too I guess![/color]

[color=blue][root@paradise ~]# misdnportinfo
Port 1: TE-mode BRI S/T interface line (for phone lines)
→ Protocol: DSS1 (Euro ISDN)
→ Layer 4 protocol 0x04000001 is detected, but not allowed for TE lib.
→ childcnt: 2

• Port NOT useable for PBX (maybe there is already a PBX running?)

mISDN_close: fid(3) isize(131072) inbuf(0x9b76060) irp(0x9b76060) iend(0x9b76060)

[color=red]Is a card with 2 ports being expected somewhere as mine is only a single port BRI card?[/color]

Thanks in advance.

MadDogMike