Need configuration help

I’m a newbie to SIP, PBXes and telephony in general.

I need help configuring asterisk on Windows XP Pro SP3 using the windoze version of asterisk of course.

I’ve got a simple residential cable connection from my ISP (roadrunner). My normal phone service is also provided by them. My 10 year old plain, ordinary nothing special phone plugs into the box they provided. I get a dynamic IP address, I have no domain of my own.

After installing cygwin and then asterisk, I tried following the directions of this book:

asteriskdocs.org/en/3rd_Edit … g_id289934

in my sip.conf file I tried:

context = demo ; Default context for incoming calls
register => sipphone206:mypassword@iptel.org

and also:

context = incoming ; Default context for incoming calls

context=unauthenticated ; default context for incoming calls
allowguest=yes ; enable unauthenticated calls

Neither worked. Trying to register gave me:

Oct 21 23:49:31 WARNING[4592] chan_sip.c: No such host: iptel.org
Oct 21 23:49:31 WARNING[4592] chan_sip.c: Probably a DNS error for registration to sipphone206@iptel.org, trying REGISTER again (after 20 seconds)

the second did nothing.

If I call my DID I get voicemail. If I run jitsi, the call comes through on jitsi so there’s nothing wrong with my SIP setup with iptel.org, that all works.

I know I’m not understanding how asterisk works so I also read through asteriskguide.com/pdf/Gettin … terisk.pdf

and I guess my configuration is unique enough that what I want to do doesn’t seem to be covered. Plus I’m having trouble translating the concept of extensions to my situation. I mean, how do I say any calls coming in through SIP go “here”? I’m not sure whether extensions apply to me or not.

Let me explain. I want something very simple. My calls come in from my SIP provider -iptel.org- over the Net. I want to take that call, and route it to one of perhaps 3 places.

First, I want to have the option of answering the call myself through my softphone - at the moment I’m using jitsi. Should I not answer, I’d like it routed back to the Net, to someone elsewhere in the world also using jitsi. Should they not answer, it might go to a third person if available or end up in voicemail. That’s kind of my ultimate goal & plan for today. At the moment, I’m just trying to get step 1 to work.

Been working at this all day and I can’t think straight anymore.

Any ideas and/or pointers?

Thank you in advance