Logging the codec choice

As I am still juggling the disallow/allow settings to get optimimal performance I wanted to collect the codec choice in the log files, for both legs of a call. Is there a way to do that? I have been using show channel commands but that only works while the call is in progress.

My Asterisk box is not particularly fast at some translations, but I want to use G.729 where possible in passhtru mode. I do have the necessary licence but the problem is my CPU speed. All my ATAs can do 729, and my PSTN termination service accepts it, but I’d rather not have Asterisk doing the encoding when I can help it.

you might look at the userfield setting for CDR - if you could parse the channel variables to provide the codec and insert that into the CDR table for each call, it might do what you need…

just a thought.

The ${SIP_CODEC} variable is null when I look at it just after Echo returns.

from the notes on the wiki, it looks like it might have been deprecated in the 1.0 branch…

i just went through several different manager commands on the CLI - NONE of them show the codec for the active call…if SIP_CODEC is dead, then i haven’t found another way to pull that information from asterisk…

maybe somebody else has another idea…

Hello

Bringing up this subject… is there a way to log which codec was used on a call ?

many thanks,

j.