Interested in using Asterisk

I am interested in using Asterisk but I don’ know if I need to spend $200+ on a single span or if I can get buy using a $70 Cisco Gateway. Will that work? We have a T1 would it just be foolish to try to use a Cisco SPA3102 Voice Gatway? Or am I just confused about what hardware I need in the first place? I already have a Linux server. we really only want the thing for VOIP to Nicaragua.

I’d suggest getting Asterisk set up on your Linux box, and dropping a soft-phone onto a desktop PC somewhere. Then you can play with the concept without spending anything at all. Once you have some comfort-level, you can look at adding hardware.

But if you only need one line and one phone, quite honestly Asterisk is overkill. Grab a SIP service from a provider, add the soft-phone and off you go. You can usually find free services (or at least free trials) to play with, albeit without the ability to make off-network calls without payment.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Hi

I wont repeat the above post as its correct
But as you say [quote]We have a T1 would it just be foolish to try to use a Cisco SPA3102 Voice Gatway? Or am I just confused about what hardware I need in the first place?[/quote]

Yes you are confused as a SPA3102 is for an analog CO line to a T1 , SO putting it another way, yes it would be foolish as it will cost you $70 plus agrivation plus annoy the staff at the CO

Ian