Instant Messenger

Hi guys,

The company I’m at would like to have an in house IM application for employees in the building to use. I know this promotes a lazy lifestyle but that’s technology for you I guess. I’ve been doing some research on the subject and I’m kind of confused.

Can the asterisk box handle IM? Is there a set of instructions you could point me to or keywords to use? What do you suggest using? Lastly, what app would be good to use on the pc side, Pidgin? I am using x-lite for some soft-phones right now but I don’t think that can handle IM, is there an app that does video, voice, and IM neatly? Thanks guys

Windows Messenger? Lync? Skype?

If you want free software and to keep all data internal, you probably need to use Linux workstations. Pidgin can do this with, I think XMPP, and some Linux distributions.

I have a feeling that the latest version of Asterisk can do out of dialogue messages, but only to suitable SIP phones. Early versions could only do so in the context of a phone call.

(You forgot to mention your platform, but the omission and the reference to X-Lite both imply Windows.)

Have a look here [jitsi.org/](http://jitsi.org/) - does Voice, Video, Chat (over SIP and many other IM protocols) - free and open source.

Have a look here jitsi.org/ - does Voice, Video, Chat (over SIP and many other IM protocols) - free and open source.