IAX2 to SIP translation

Does translating a calling from SIP to IAX2 and vice versa require a codec license if I am using g729 at both ends of the call? Obviously if I am going from ulaw to g729 then I need a license but I am unsure about going g729 to g729 and translating between IAX2 and SIP. Thanks.

If I’m not mistaken, g729 and ulaw are the encoding of the voice. SIP and IAX are just the transport. There should be no translating when going between SIP and IAX. There are a number of smarter people here than me, so hopefully one of them will be able to give a more concrete answer.