How does Asterisk perform when virtualised?

Hi,

Just wondering what the general opinion is of running asterisk in a virtual machine?

If it makes a difference, the PBX I have in mind has less than 20 users and a maximum of 10 lines.

Leon

Reportedly, if you carefully control the load on the host it may be OK, but the VM’s we use for test systems frequently end up with speech, and particularly voice announcements and MOH breaking up.

And it depends on the virtualization environment you’re using. XEN doesn’t do so well, its scheduling latency wobbly all around the place no matter the load. I have an ESXi server with dual dual-core Opteron 290s and my Asterisk installation zips along quite nicely with no calls dropped no matter the load on the host machine.

It would be running in a vmware virtual machine, with plenty of resources.

Sounds like it should be ok…

Leon

You need to have plenty of resources at about the 20ms scale. Bascically, several CPUs need to become free within that sort of timescale. Anything generating a bursty loads with bursts of 100ms+ is likely to cause audio breakup during the burst.

XEN doesn’t do so well, its scheduling latency wobbly all around the place no matter the load. I have an ESXi server with dual dual-core Opteron 290s and my Asterisk installation zips along quite nicely with no calls dropped no matter the load on the host machine. 2945abc45 0822