High availability Asterisk for the enterprise

I apologize in advance if I’m beating a dead horse here, but I’m looking for some thoughts, or better yet, some real world experiences to estimate Asterisk’s readiness in the enterprise, particularly the large enterprise.

I have a number of reservations about cost and development philosophy in the closed-source telephony world, making Asterisk a logical alternative. At the same time, commercial TDM systems simply work, and that expectation obviously exists for anything I might try in the open source world.

I know the geeks of the world, myself included, can tweak and compile and simply make it work, but that’s entirely insufficient from the corporate perspective. For this to truly be viable, I need reproducible, stable, and consistent process and software that I can stake my career and reputation on.

Like I said, I’m hoping to get some thoughts from the Asterisk community here with respect to what I can do for the high availability and enterprise-type stability. I am especially interested in experiences with Stratus’s ftServer T30/T60. It seems like this is a near carrier grade solution to ensure your box never dies. Apart from that, I’m skittish about software load balancers, but if anyone has any info on what kind of stable, enterprise-grade stuff exists, I’d be happy to hear about it.

Thanks in advance!

Josh