[HELP!] Asterisk with an external H323 GK

Hi all!

I need some help, here’s my situation: I’ve an Asterisk@Home 2.4 server (with Asterisk 1.2.3), and I want use it with an H323 Gatekeeper (provided from an external company) for outgoing calls ONLY - I don’t need to receive calls nor to use H323 phones on my PBX. I know it’s quite an obsolete system, but it’s also quite cheap for me… :smiley:

Following the instructions found at voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+oh323+channels , I’ve downloaded and compiled the oH323 channel with the related packages: the process seems to have been successful, because the OH323 channel shows up when issuing the command “show channeltypes” at the Asterisk console. Also, every minute or so, I get a “Retrying gatekeeper registration” on the console.

Now, how do I configure my gatekeeper’s IP, port, H323-ID/alias and Caller-ID (it’s just needed, but it’s not a real phone number)? And, expecially, how do I set up a trunk (“custom”, I supose) and its outgoing route, so as to make possible for every extension on my PBX to dial any PSTN or mobile number on the “outside world”?

I’ve read almost every post on this forum about H323, but it seems that h323 support in Asterisk is just used for internal extensions.

Thanks a lot for any help!
Federico.

Hi,

I am also in the same situation. I’ve setup h323 channel as understood from following output. But I don’t know how to define a H323 trunk. IT2s not supported via AMP. I read in many forums that H323 calls can be received from Asterisk, but I couldn’t do it.
How can I define a H323 trunk ?

asterisk1*CLI> show channeltypes
Type Description Devicestate Indications Transfer

H323 The NuFone Network’s Open H.32 no yes no
Feature Feature Proxy Channel Driver no yes no
Zap Zapata Telephony Driver w/PRI no yes no
Phone Standard Linux Telephony API D no no no
Skinny Skinny Client Control Protocol no yes no
Local Local Proxy Channel Driver no yes no
IAX2 Inter Asterisk eXchange Driver yes yes yes
MGCP Media Gateway Control Protocol no yes no
Agent Call Agent Proxy Channel yes yes no
SIP Session Initiation Protocol (S yes yes yes

no one knows how to create a h323 trunk ?
then how do people use it ?
please… I need help on this.

Hi,

I don’t have an asterisk now with a configured OH323 channel. But I have tried it already and its working. You may want follow the sample file, specifically, set the following configuration parameter

gatekeeper=
gatekeeperPassword=secret

also, set the udp and tcp ports if necessary. check your firewalls configuration to let through the packets for your h323 calls, and rest assured your asterisk will register on the gk and you can call through your h323 network.

I don’t know which file to edit. Where is the sample file ? If I find it, under which folder should I place it ?

Hi

I’ve been using plain Asterisk not Asterisk@Home nor AMP. If you incorporate the oh323 channel manually to your Asterisk, you should find the sample config file wherever you extracted the source file. If you didn’t have, I suggest you just download the tar file from inaccessnetworks.com/projects/asterisk-oh323. So you can just extract(don’t compile) it elsewhere. cd <asterisk-oh323-0.6.7>/asterisk-driver you can find oh323.conf.sample

Can you guys let me know where you got the instructions to setup H.323 internal extentions. I can’t find that. All I found was inaccessnetworks.com/ian/pro … /#section4 but there is only downloads there. No documentation on how to install it.

after installing oh323 for Asterisk, I just have to put sample file as h323.conf to the /etc/asterisk/ folder ?

is that enough ?

how can I define the outgoing or incoming trunk ? (and route calls via that trunk ?)

Hey Guys…

any updates on this Topic? Please let me know if any one of you have successfully done this.

Regards,
Leo

I guess nobody has enough information OR nobody is willing to share information on this issue.

For AMP you can set up a trunk by specifying a custom trunk, fill in appopriate settings and set custom dial string for trunk depend’ng on the channel driver you choose:

OOH323/$OUTNUM$@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
OH323/$OUTNUM$@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
H323/$OUTNUM$@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the ip of the GW / GK you are trinyg to connect to.

Then set the following :

[code][general]
port=1720
bindaddr=yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy
;This parameter indicates whether channel driver should register with
;gatekeeper as a gateway or an endpoint.
gateway=no
faststart=yes
h245tunneling=yes

;H323-ID to be used for asterisk server
h323id=555006
e164=100

;CallerID to use for calls
callerid=555004

;Whether this asterisk server will use gatekeeper.
;Default - DISABLE
;gatekeeper = DISCOVER
;gatekeeper = a.b.c.d
gatekeeper = DISABLE

;Location for H323 log file
logfile=/var/log/asterisk/h323_log

;Following values apply to all users/peers/friends defined below, unless
;overridden within their client definition

;Sets default context all clients will be placed in.
context=default
rtptimeout=60

;Type of Service
;Default - none (lowdelay, thoughput, reliability, mincost, none)
tos=lowdelay

;The account code used by default for all clients.
accountcode=555004

;The codecs to be used for all clients.Only ulaw and gsm supported as of now.
disallow=all ;Note order of disallow/allow is important.
allow=g729
;allow=g723
;allow=gsm
;allow=ulaw

dtmfmode=rfc2833 [/code]

thanks nanotek.
That’s really the most helpful answer I received on this issue.
Great !

Btw,

Will I add the settings to h323.cfg ? (or oh323.cfg, ooh323.cfg in case I use them)

Depends on your which channel driver you use.

For H323 / OH323 h323.conf should do fine.
For OOH323 I use oh323.conf.