Got SIP response 479 "We dont accept private IP contact

Hi there.

I’m trying to configure Asterisk with Plusnet’s voip service.

Asterisk can log in, but when i dial their test extension 7000, i get the following error:

The reletive section in sip.conf looks like this:

[plusnet] type=friend externip=212.159.75.*edited* username=*edited* secret=*edited* host=sip.plus.net fromuser=*edited* fromdomain=sip.plus.net nat=yes authuser=*edited* dtmfmode=inband context=sipplusnet insecure=very canreinvite=no disallow=all allow=ulaw allow=alaw allow=gsm

I added the externip line thinking that would cure it, but no go.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Actually i’ve just realised i didn’t have a register => line for plusnet, so it’s NOT logging in.
After inserting one, i get the same error
:frowning:

post a sip debug?

also remember with the register line you should do register => user:pass@peername rather than user:pass@server.hostname.com

Thanks for answering

sip debug? How do i do that then?

I have the register line like this:
register => username:password@sip.plus.net/username

I have Asterisk register my sipgate account using the same format and it works perfectly.
The reason i also want to add Plusnet is because i get 240 minutes voip time included in my broadband each month.

I’m guessing that i need to forward my internet ip address to Plusnet so they can verify my account. I have a static ip address. How can i get Asterisk to forward it?
I thought the externip= line would have done that.

for your config it would be

register => user:pass@plusnet ; ‘plusnet’ is the name of the peer definition below.

to get a sip debug, do ‘sip debug peer plusnet’ and then you will get a load of stuff on CLI. post it.

also for externip- you must define externip= and localnet= in the general section at the top, not in the peer definition. see if that helps. if not post the sip debug. good luck!

OK. I changed the register line and ran a debug.
I’ve pasted the results here:

pastebin.com/844412

Thanks

line 15 is the problem. try the rest of my stuff, setup externip= and localnet=. You may also have to set nat=yes on the peer…

hmm. It appears to work.

I put the following under the [general] setting in sip.conf:

externip=212.159.75.135 localnet=192.168.0.2

I have nat=yes under the [plusnet] definition.

I can dial Plusnet test extension 7000. it connects but i just get silence. I have to hangup.
So it appears i am getting through - sort of.

I am getting some cryptic lines on the asterisk cli:

[Dec 24 21:34:01] WARNING[13493]: chan_sip.c:11894handle_response_register: Got 200 OK on REGISTER that isn't a register
, but no “We dont accept private ip” errors, so i think you’ve fixed it for me.

Thanks very much for you speedy replies.

:smiley:

excellent one problem down, one to go. try playing with the nat= setting on the peer.

Make sure your RTP ports and stuff are all forwarded. You must forward UDP ports 5060 (for sip) and whatever range is defined in rtp.conf to * for it to work. that is 10k-20k by default but it doesn’t need that many, 10k-10150 will be more than enough.

once you forward the ports it should hopefully start working, if not play with the nat= setting and if that still doesnt help post another sip debug

I actually don’t have a rtf.conf in my asterisk directory. I guess that’s what you mean.

I have set my router to forward port 5060 to the whole lan at the moment, for this testing phase, although it only needs to goto the asterisk server.

I’ll play with the nat= setting tomorrow. going to call it a day,(only 2 hours to xmas here in the UK)

Have a Merry Christmas, and thanks again. Much appreciated.

:smiley:

rtp.conf (not rtf.conf) should be in /etc/asterisk or wherever you have the rest of your * configs.

absent an rtp.conf (which really should be there) forward udp 10000-20000 and see if that helps.

forwarding to the ‘whole lan’? does it make 5060 connections to every machine and then give the socket to whichever one takes it first? sounds fishy.

good lukc and have a great christmas!

Sorry to resurect this one but did you get PlusNet working correctly?

I was using Sipgate, but have just started having issues where the DTMF tones have stopped working, and so I thought that I would try out PlusNet.

I’ve managed to get it to register and make outgoing calls, but cannot receive incoming calls.

If you got it working, is it possible that you could guide me with the settings that were required?

Thanks in advance.

i’ll be frank here … i wouldn’t touch anything that PlusNet have with your barge pole … never mind my own. there are plenty of better ITSPs out there in the UK.

baconbuttie, can I ask why? I use them for broadband and have always found them superb. Are there issues with their VOIP service?

i’ve used them for broadband and always found them slow when compared to other ISPs. their throttling techniques are awful, relying on Ellacoyas to screw everything down to just about tolerable levels.

i’ve had businesses almost collapse because of the way they apply this. they already accept that their network is at capacity from 7am until 2am (no typo !).

add on the fact that they “lost” 700Gb of customer email last year, then said that “email is an added value service, you shouldn’t rely on being able to provide it”.

then remember that they have throttling of SIP traffic … although they did relent and double the allowance.

lastly, i’ve never used PlusTalk, but there are plenty of people who complain about the (typically) shoddy way the billing is handled and of costs being charged for calls that should have been free.

i changed to Enta for my office, will never use PlusNet (was actually MetroNet) again, nor will i ever recommend them to anyone.

i don’t like having to be this down on a supplier, but they really do deserve to disappear into the abyss (with the exception of James and Mandy).

[quote=“elvislives”]Sorry to resurect this one but did you get PlusNet working correctly?

I was using Sipgate, but have just started having issues where the DTMF tones have stopped working, and so I thought that I would try out PlusNet.

I’ve managed to get it to register and make outgoing calls, but cannot receive incoming calls.

If you got it working, is it possible that you could guide me with the settings that were required?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

No i didn’t.
I had big problems with Plusnet so moved over to Freeola.

I only use Sipgate for voip.
I have dtmfmode=info disallow=all allow=ulaw allow=alaw allow=g729 allow=gsm in sip.conf and the DTMF tones work fine.