Frustrated: Cant get Early Media to work!

ah ok, so rtsp stream is not possible in a linphone client for example?
but what about an preview still image? that should be supported right? also in sip clients?
then i have at least something in an early view, the video will come afterwards

Do you have some example code how i can add an still image / icon in a sip header? based on this :

[from-internal-custom]
exten => 2002,1,Progress()
same => n,Dial(SIP/2002)
same => n,Hangup

No, i do not know if it is possible, and if it is, how to inject still-image in standard sip.
If someone know i would also try this solution with my system.

Adding custom header is simple, for your example would be something like:
exten => n,SipAddHeader(MyRtspUriTest: rtsp://192.168.x.y/video.h264)
This can be useful only if built completely your own system and is useless with standard sip phones and softphones like linphone.

because its an rtsp stream? is that why it isnt possible with sip phones?
what if i change it to an image (.png) file, would that work? or not supported either?

should it look like below?

[from-internal-custom]
;exten => 2002,1,Progress()
exten => n,SipAddHeader(Icon: http://someicon.png)
same => n,Dial(SIP/2002)
same => n,Hangup

would be somekind of callerID image? that should be supported on softphone , not?

Yes, standard sip phones support only rtp, rtsp is not supported as i know.
You can add whatever you want in your custom header but it is useless on standard sip phones.
It can be useful only if you have your complete solution and will work only with your specific phones (again it is not a full solution).

I am willing to try to implement video early media in the parallel calls.
When i call just one phone i have video in early media without a problem.
My use case is like this:
Call two or more phones in parallel in the local network, have a video preview on all phones before answering.
When the first phone answer call is a hangup for others and audio and video continue for that phone.

@david551 @jcolp can you estimate the effort for my use case and what is the right way to do this.
Can it be done by a new channel driver or i have to do this directly in the existing source (app_dial.c or somewhere else)?

Thanks!

yes, i want that feature too, so early video is present on all phones, not just one

You would likely have to make changes to app_dial. I donā€™t know what all is required.

It looks to me that the only thing that is enforcing this is in the second section of what you said looked like Chinese. The main question is actually why was it done? At the moment I can think of a couple of possibilities:

• being able to hear the caller but not reply might be confusing (allowing early media towards the caller would have been more complex, as it would have involved mixing);

• repeating to large numbers of potential callees might have performance issues.

Although some changes to code are possible without understanding the language, Iā€™m not going to be more specific, as I think you need to understand the code to maintain this properly, and you shouldnā€™t be in a position where you keep having to come back to the forum for support.

This only applies to Dial. If ring groups are handled the use of Queue, more thought will be needed.

Also note that, whilst a change for private use is probably very small, any change to the official code would need the addition, of an option on the application, so that the original behaviour was retained, by default, an the associated documentation.

For me it is not Chinese :slight_smile:

What about conference bridge and multistream media SFU?
Is there a possible video in early media before someone picks up the phone?

No. You canā€™t use that functionality for this. MAYBE the old video switching stuff, but youā€™re in not common usage land, so I have no idea.

Is it so difficult to get early video on ringgroups? now its only on 1 softphone available

hey @jcolp , how can we proceed wit this? are there some tech guys who i can contact to make early video possible on ring groups?

thnx in advance

The process for a bug bounty is documented on the wiki[1]. There is no guarantee anyone will look or take it up. Thereā€™s noone I can directly point to.

[1] Asterisk Bug Bounties - Asterisk Project - Asterisk Project Wiki

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.