Extension Keeps Ringing - DRIVE ME CRAZY!

The ‘-i any’ means any interface. If you’re executing sngrep on the Asterisk host and you’re not seeing any INVITES, or any activity on the Asterisk console, this Asterisk server is not the source.

Any other Asterisk (or other VOIP related hosts) on your local network?

If you can execute sngrep (or tcpdump) on your router, that will tell you if INVITEs are coming from outside.

Actually, yes. I have 3CX installation on a box running and network that is accessible through this network interface, although through another IP address.

Just shut it down. Let me retest.

Tested…Same problem. The phone actually rings as soon as I insert the batteries. I’m going to open a ticket with YeaLink… None of the other dect phones/extensions are behaving like this. I might just have to remove this device from the base all together.

Defenitly not from the pbx…found the solution though:

If these INVITEs are coming from outside:

1. You should not allow SIP traffic from endpoints you don’t expect. My preference is to whitelist your SIP providers and drop anything else. Even if you have a mobile workforce that needs to connect from ‘everywhere,’ everywhere probably doesn’t include North Korea, China, Iran, Russia, etc. Another approach is to set up a VPN.
  2. Why are your endpoints accessible from outside?

These are the default settings I’m using on a Yealink, DECT base. I was using with 3CX. My wireless extension hasn’t rang since the change. Peace at last! I’m brand-spank’n new to the world of Asterisk/Free PBX. Still not sure I know the difference really, between the two. LOL.

I have to migrate some services from another provider who’s in the process of shutting down and ultimately need a product that I can send web-based text messages from and have the ability to bridge a couple of numbers together. Nothing major.

Had 3CX installed at customer locations and I didn’t like what they were doing through serial keys and control of the product.

Asterisk is a box of Legos. FPBX is the Millennium Falcon box set. If you try to make something else, you may not have all the right pieces and you’re going to have a lot of parts left over that don’t make a lot of sense.

For example, my first Asterisk gig was building a pay by the minute adult chat service. FPBX wasn’t around back then (2003) and it wouldn’t have handled credit card processing, specialized billing, monitoring, and reporting. Also, there was no outbound calling, no agents, queues, etc.

Glad that worked out for you. Yes, this appears to continue improving over time and is a good skill to have especially considering out work. I just hope (I found a Click to call module), but I hope to integrate some scripts for Text Messaging (one way text at the very least) and “Web Call”. Where a user can enter their phone number through that and have some php pass parameters to complete functions on freepbx.

This is very likely the issue here, especially with Yealink phones.

Why ‘especially’ with Yealink?

Is was an issue with the phone. Actually, a setting in the DECT base menu that had to be adjusted.

And what was the setting that needed to be changed? Might help future visitors.

How to block ghost calls:

My clients are getting ghost calls from weird numbers not logged in PBX
Those ghost calls are attempts made by “hackers” to place rogue calls, usually to premium rate numbers. They start by analyzing large part of Internet trying to connect to port 5060, the standard port used by PBX and phones. If they detect an answer, they try placing some calls using different formats. If one of these calls has success, then they start to send hundred of calls to premium rate numbers. They get some money rewards by phone companies. To avoid this issue, you can place the phone behind a firewall or NAT router, allowing only the PBX to connect or you can configure the phone to accept calls only from registered server. This option has several names depending by the phone brand.

Ben thanks! It was just a setting in the DECT base. But thanks again!

Am I misunderstanding the situation? You have ‘outsiders’ sending traffic to your phones and your solution is to change a setting on the phone to ignore the requests?

I’d be wigged out trying to figure how they got past my firewall – and what else is getting in?

Am I all alone out here howling at the moon?

My clients are getting ghost calls from weird numbers not logged in PBX
Those ghost calls are attempts made by “hackers” to place rogue calls, usually to premium rate numbers. They start by analyzing large part of Internet trying to connect to port 5060, the standard port used by PBX and phones.

There is good reason, why you should not want to expose your telephones directly to the internet. Not on port 5060n not on any other port port. There’s simply no. need. for. that. Fullstop.
Just make the telephones/clients not reachable from outside your network. You don’t need port-forwardings to your telephones for them to work (at least in > 98% of all cases).

Read the post I linked above.