Controlling outbound dialing

Hello,

I’m interested in controlling outbound dialing through my asterisk system. Some users should be able to place long distance and/or int’l calls while some should not. The best case would be to have some kind of group membership. I haven’t turned up anything on the wiki yet.

I’m wondering what design patterns others have used to achieve this (number ranges in extens?). I’d like to do it within the dialplan if I can.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee

If I were looking to do this, I would go to my outbound routes.
create one for local calls, and a second one for LD and INT calls.
With the second one for LD and INT calls, simply add a password requirement. Do this even though they both use the same outbound trunk.
Just set the Dial Patterns/plan for local on one, and LD on the other with a password.

this is easily done using *@H 2.8. Not sure what you are running.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Tom

Thanks Qwiz,

I was hoping there would be a bit moe elegant way to do it. I decided to do something similar in where we just create one more contexts with the specific dialing rules appropriate for a specific type of user and assign that context when creating the record for the extension in sip.conf.

Thanks again,

Lee

here is an idea…

[default]
include => internal
include => longdistance
include => local
include => tollfree
include => emergency

[restricted]
include => internal
include => local
include => emergency

you’d set your non-restricted users to use the ‘default’ context as their default, and your restricted users to use the ‘restricted’ context as their default.

both contexts still have internal extension dialing capabilities, and emergency dialing, but only the ‘default’ context allows for tollfree and LD dialing.

i don’t see why this wouldn’t work…in fact, i’m planning on doing something very similar for our company.

[quote=“whoiswes”]here is an idea…

[default]
include => internal
include => longdistance
include => local
include => tollfree
include => emergency

[restricted]
include => internal
include => local
include => emergency

i don’t see why this wouldn’t work…in fact, i’m planning on doing something very similar for our company.[/quote]

I agree. I’m writing a dial plan builder application for my company and that is what I have decided to do, except instead of having just say 2 static outbound contexts, we’ll just include the ability to define more than out outbound route.

Use authenticate. it will solve it. :smiley:

Hi this is fairly simple but does need planning.

Basicly

you give each extn a context, International, National, Local, Internal etc

Then you create the dial plan contexts. IE int_calls nat_calls loc_calls mob_calls etc

Then as mentioned above you use includes so that International includes all contexts , National all except int_calls etc

You do need to order them correctly.

Using this method you can also limit the functions that people can do such as add system speed calls be a meetme admin etc.

Thanks for the great responses all.