Compile Problem with Zaptel

I used Yum to make sure I have the needed packages and that is OK. When I do make for zaptel, I get errors. Here is the output

grep: /lib/modules/2.6.18.8-0.3-default/build/include/linux/autoconf.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: Entering directory /usr/src/zaptel-1.4.3/menuselect' make[2]: Entering directory/usr/src/zaptel-1.4.3/menuselect’
make[2]: menuselect' is up to date. make[2]: Leaving directory/usr/src/zaptel-1.4.3/menuselect’
make[1]: Leaving directory /usr/src/zaptel-1.4.3/menuselect' grep: /lib/modules/2.6.18.8-0.3-default/build/include/linux/autoconf.h: No such file or directory make[1]: Entering directory/usr/src/zaptel-1.4.3’
make[2]: Entering directory /usr/src/zaptel-1.4.3/menuselect' make[3]: Entering directory/usr/src/zaptel-1.4.3/menuselect’
make[3]: menuselect' is up to date. make[3]: Leaving directory/usr/src/zaptel-1.4.3/menuselect’
make[2]: Leaving directory /usr/src/zaptel-1.4.3/menuselect' make -C /lib/modules/2.6.18.8-0.3-default/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/zaptel-1.4.3 modules make[2]: Entering directory/usr/src/linux-2.6.18.8-0.3-obj/x86_64/default’
make[2]: *** No rule to make target modules'. Stop. make[2]: Leaving directory/usr/src/linux-2.6.18.8-0.3-obj/x86_64/default’
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/zaptel-1.4.3’
make: *** [all] Error 2

That first line “no such file or directory”, autoconf.h
What does that mean. What do I need to do. Thank you.

I figured it out. I added the kernel source to the Linux software and all is OK now. Can compile without errors. Thank you.

How did you do that??? Can you explain the steps??

Rowell,
As background, I’m more familiar with a Windows environment and when compiling an application you just press the button to build the application. There is no making sure you have all the compile tools, libraries, etc. But with Linux, when you compile you need to make sure you have the correct compiler, the libraries, other applications and the kernel source. This is a real simple step. I have Suse 10.2 and Yast is used add the software required. For Yast here are the steps.

1. Open the Yast Control Center
  2. Select Software Management, the upper right side.
  3. When you select Software Management, Yast goes and builds a library of available software from update sites or from from your DVD or CD.
  4. On the upper left side is a pull-down menu “Filter”. Try selecting “Package Groups”
  5. Then go down the list and Select, Source under “Development”.
  6. Then just hit the box for “Kernel Source”, to add a check mark.
  7. You now have the kernel source available for the compile step. This is also how you add other packages, tools, applications, etc.
  8. The last step is just to press “Accept” at the bottom right. The source or other software is added to your Linux installation.
    Good luck