Cisco 7970G can't register with Asterisk

I doubt it.

Do you see the lights blinking amber when you press and hold #, and power on the phone?

EDIT: Specifically the line keys should be amber.

Yep. When I enter the code the line lights will start to blink red too. Then nothing.

Okay so then I don’t think it’s bricked.

I have noticed that after the red lights these phones take quite awhile to go through the entire cycle of flashing and then finally rebooting. Also I have noticed that they can take some time to get their DHCP address, which is what moves them on to the next stage.

I would do the pound sign, power on, wait for the amber lights, enter the code, and then you’ll see the red lights.

After that give it as much time as it needs. It may sit there for awhile appearing to do nothing. I had a 7975G do this to me yesterday and I thought it was broken. Finally after what seemed like 10 minutes it rebooted and continued on with the firmware upgrade.

Okay. I’ll do that then. Let’s see what happens.

1 Like

I think it’s been 4 days now. The phone is still “off” even through it’s plugged into PoE.

If you haven’t already, try this and see if you can get it to do anything:

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-repair-a-bricked-Cisco-7970-and-7975-phone

Will give it a try. Thanks.

Doesn’t seem to do anything.

Well, I would say maybe try to return it. If you purchased it on eBay from someone with a return policy or something like that, go that route. Sorry it didn’t work for you.

Hi, Just wondering whether you solved this problem or not.

I have played around with a 7970G with SIP some years ago and noticed that 7970G uses Asymmetric NAT check out http://forum.sipsorcery.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2165&sid=8d9bdc912b302f874f82159edac1beeb&start=30 for details.

I was able to get it to work with Mynetfone.com.au but not with other providers at that stage. Since then MNF have obviously changed their server and now it does not register with MNF either. When Voxalot was around I was able to choose asymmetric NAT when configuring a line but Voxalot is no longer alive so that option is not available either.

Just today, I spoke to MNF and asked them whether they could set up my connection with asymmetric NAT but of course it was all too hard for them.

Just looking at your configs, I would try turning off NAT on the Asterisk config file (not on the phone). Let me know if this works please.

BTW if you are getting Error Verifying Config File message that means the phone cannot parse the file due to some syntax error and is not loading your config file. This file is a real pain in the neck as there is no example file, no command reference doco and it does not tell you where the error is.