Background / Invalid Extension through cell phone

Hi,

I have had an issue for a long time, and really just can’t solve it.

My boss and others seem to have a problem when they call into our asterisk phone system. It often takes 3-4 tries of entering an extension before the system gets it right.

Below is my context that the call comes into, and some debugging from the asterisk console.

[corporate]
;;exten => fax,1,Macro(faxreceive)
#include “local_ext.conf”

exten => s, 1, answer
exten => s, 2, Wait(2)
exten => s, 3, Background(menu_ty)
exten => s, 4, Background(menu_ext)
exten => s, 5, WaitExten(30)
exten => s, 6, Voicemail(u100)
exten => s, 7, Hangup()

exten => t, 1, Hangup
exten => i, 1, goto(s|4)

Below, you will see the call come into Zap/53. He is trying to dial extension 104. The first few times, only the 4 is recognized. Then 14. But if you look at the cellphone screen, you see 104104104104104104.

– Executing BackGround(“Zap/53-1”, “menu_ext”) in new stack
– Playing ‘menu_ext’ (language ‘en’)
– Invalid extension ‘4’ in context ‘corporate’ on Zap/53-1
== CDR updated on Zap/53-1
– Executing Goto(“Zap/53-1”, “s|4”) in new stack
– Goto (corporate,s,4)
– Goto (corporate,s,4)
– Playing ‘vm-intro’ (language ‘en’)
pbxCLI>
– Goto (corporate,s,4)
pbx
CLI>
– Invalid extension ‘14’ in context ‘corporate’ on Zap/53-1
– Goto (corporate,s,4)
pbxCLI>
pbx
CLI>
== Spawn extension (ebay, s, 2) exited non-zero on ‘Zap/56-1’
– Hungup 'Zap/56-1’
pbx*CLI>
– Executing Macro(“Zap/53-1”, “stdexten|104|IAX2/congdonj”) in new stack
– Executing Dial(“Zap/53-1”, “IAX2/congdonj|20|tw”) in new stack

This would be better titled “cell phone DTMF problem” :laughing: I was told that some mobile carriers do not transmit the best signals into PSTN.

Are there any known patches? Would relaxed DTMF help? Or is this just something we have to live with?

Relaxed DTMF did not help me quite, if I call from T-mobile. No problem when I call from Nextel. But you could Google.

Not just an asterisk issue. I think it’s just the poor quality of service that cell phones give. I found that if I hold the buttons down longer that it works better. Apparently my cell phone does send true DTMF, so holding the button results in a longer tone, and hence less chance for a “button press” to be dropped…

Some carriers, maybe. T-Mobile is GSM, supposingly DTMF is transmitted out of band - so it should always be accurate. :cry:

I am experiencing problems with DTMF digits doubling for calls coming in in-Band from the GSM network over EuroISDN PRI to asterisk.
We have recorded a wave file and found out that we need to have debouncing of about
400ms (make asterisk blind to DTMF for 400ms after receiving a valid DTMF digit).
However, I have looked over the source code, including dsp.c, and could not find how to set this parameter.
Can someone advise how to do this.

If 400ms is accurate and stable, I can think of a wacky way: Read() one digit at a time.

exten => s,1,NoOp(Rid bouncing tones); untested exten => s,n(start),Read(digit,1) exten => s,n,GotoIf($[${digit}=#?cont) exten => s,n,Set(number=${number}${digit}) exten => s,n,Answer(400); just wait for 400 ms exten => s,n,Goto(start) exten => s,n(cont),stuff...

Thank you, will try.
Another question - can ASterisk in the bridged mode capture DTMF from leg A, process it per your recommendation and spit it out to leg B ?