Autoconf/Automake

I am wondering if there are any particular opinions out there as to using autoconf for building Asterisk – e.g. any compelling reasons to steer clear of it? Also if someone could enligthen me as to the history of trying to get autoconf into Asterisk, that would be much appreciated.

I’m asking, because we’re lately doing lots of cross-compiling of Asterisk, and every new release takes quite a bit of patching to get this tailored (even after the Makefile changes from 1.0 to 1.2).

We’re considering translating everything to autoconf to make our life easier. From the current Makefiles this (mostly) seems to be do-able (though not necessarily trivial) – so we would potentially be willing to do this and contribute it back to the community.

I’ve done a cursory google on this topic, and only found two references; one back in 2000 when the idea of incorporating autoconf was welcomed, another at end 2003 when an initial integration with the then-CVS was offered. I am sort of wondering where this has gone, and why, and if I’m missing something.

If there is a good reason not to do this, and there is thus little chance that such patches would ever be accepted, we would rather find this out now instead of after doing the work!

Many thanks!