Asterisk & Zaptel : no MWI on Siemens DECT

Hello,

I am using Asterisk 1.4.10.1 + zaptel 1.4.4 + Digium TDM400P (1xFXO + 2xFXS)

• 2 analog DECT phones (Siemens SL56). The MWI feature doesn’t work here.
    When I have a voicemail, the phone red light doesn’t blink (it blinks only when I missed a call).
    To check if I have a voicemail, I must hang on, and hear if the tone has changed.

Reading the url below, it seems that analog phones in France has a non standard MWI :
bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=9909
bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=8587

Unfortunatelly, I could apply some of theses patches (because too many errors).

Could you please help me to activate the MWI feature ?

Thanks a lot.

Could someone please help to solve the MWI pb ?
Thanks.

Configure a SIP or IAX softphone to your system. Leave a voicemail and make sure you have MWI working on the voip side of things.

Next, configure a stuttered dialtone on a corded analog handset to make sure you have that configured correctly.

Next, make sure the same stuttered dialtone works on the cordless sl56.

Then, work on MWI.

Good Luck getting support out of Siemens with their products. You’re better off contacting a local reseller of siemens pbx gear, asking if they have done any work with asterisk and make a trade of information. There’s one pbx guru that will know how it works like the back of their hand.

If that doesn’t work, look at paying a bit of money for the reseller to work with you in getting it to work. That’s the nature of the industry.

I have a Siemens DECT phone (Gigaset S1) on a Zap extension here, using all UK settings.

I’ve just enabled voicemail to see if MWI works, and it does appear to - it’s a bit messy as you get the light on the phone due to the missed call, however when that was cleared, the light came back on after a couple of minutes and it’s showing one message in the mailbox.

I believe MWI uses the same FSK signalling as caller ID? I recently got caller ID working on this phone & that could be a good place to start with yours - does caller ID work?

What do you have in the way of country & caller ID settings in your zaptel config files, also are you passing any country option to WCTDM (opermode=?)

[quote=“mylo78”]Configure a SIP or IAX softphone to your system. Leave a voicemail and make sure you have MWI working on the voip side of things.

Next, configure a stuttered dialtone on a corded analog handset to make sure you have that configured correctly.

Then, work on MWI.

Good Luck getting support out of Siemens with their products. You’re better off contacting a local reseller of siemens pbx gear, asking if they have done any work with asterisk and make a trade of information. There’s one pbx guru that will know how it works like the back of their hand.

If that doesn’t work, look at paying a bit of money for the reseller to work with you in getting it to work. That’s the nature of the industry.[/quote]
@mylo78,
I’ve just received a brand new “S450IP”. As soon as it will be correctly configured, I will try with it.
I’ll post the result soon. Thanks for your help.

[quote=“rjenkins”]…I’ve just enabled voicemail to see if MWI works, and it does appear to - it’s a bit messy as you get the light on the phone due to the missed call, however when that was cleared, the light came back on after a couple of minutes and it’s showing one message in the mailbox.
[/quote]@rjenkins,
I’ve tried your tips, but here the light didn’t came back.

[quote=“rjenkins”]I believe MWI uses the same FSK signalling as caller ID? I recently got caller ID working on this phone & that could be a good place to start with yours - does caller ID work?[/quote]Yes, caller ID is working here.

[quote=“rjenkins”]What do you have in the way of country & caller ID settings in your zaptel config files, also are you passing any country option to WCTDM (opermode=?)[/quote]Sorry, I don’t know this param. Could you explain ?

my zaptel.conf :

loadzone=fr defaultzone=fr fxoks=1 fxoks=2 fxsks=4

my zapata.conf

[code]
[channels]
language=fr
context=internal
switchtype=national
rxwink=300

;RTC
usecallerid=yes
hidecallerid=no
callwaiting=yes
usecallingpres=yes
callwaitingcallerid=yes
threewaycalling=yes
transfer=yes
canpark=yes
cancallforward=yes
callreturn=yes
echocancel=yes
echocancelwhenbridged=yes
cadence=250,1500,1500,3000,1500,3000 ;pour le caller id DECT Siemens
group=1
callgroup=1
pickupgroup=1
immediate=no
signalling=fxs_ks
context=internal
channel => 4

;poste 1
mailbox = 1@default
callerid=“One” <1>
signalling=fxo_ks
language=fr
context=internal
channel => 1

;poste 2
mailbox = 2@default
callerid=“Two” <2>
signalling=fxo_ks
language=fr
context=internal
channel => 2 [/code]

Hi,
the message indicator on this Siemens DECT phone is rather strange, it does not simply turn on & off with mailbox status.

If the main screen says you have new messages, MWI has been triggered.

If you go to the messages menu with via the message button, it also shows the call list.

If you view and/or clear the call list, MWI turns off and stays off - but using the message button, it still shows messages in the mailbox and the MWI light is now disabled.

You must select the mailbox then OK to clear it to re-enable MWI notification…

The logic appears to be that once you have viewed the message count without selecting the messages item, MWI is disabled.

Note the message centre number can be set to *97 so it calls voicemail retrieval. This is done via the Voice Mail - Network Mailbox option in the main menu.

The opermode parameter is for the zaptel driver module. It goes in /etc/modprobe.conf on a line before each analog board driver ‘install’ line e.g.options wctdm opermode=UK install wctdm /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install wctdm && /sbin/ztcfg options wctdm8xxp opermode=UK install wctdm8xxp /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install wctdm8xxp && /sbin/ztcfg options wctdm24xxp opermode=UK install wctdm24xxp /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install wctdm24xxp && /sbin/ztcfg
To see the full list of possible country parameters, look through the module source. The ones of likely interest are:
FCC - default USA mode.
UK
FRANCE
USA - which has slightly different settings to FCC
TBR21 - which is apparently a Pan-european standard

Are you linking it to a HiPath 3000?

I’ve written a CSTA stack for that version of Siemens PBX. I’m working on integrating it with asterisk over the next 3 weeks. It will fix all your MWI problems because I can control the Siemens with CSTA.

Private Message me with your contact details and I’ll keep in touch when ready.

[quote=“mylo78”]Configure a SIP or IAX softphone to your system. Leave a voicemail and make sure you have MWI working on the voip side of things.

Then, work on MWI.

…[/quote]
@mylo78,
I found an old analog phone, and I’ve connected it instead of Siemens DECT.
After I left a voicemail, I got the stuttered dialtone, but no MWI (red light is off).

You’ve right, I would have to start with this check,because there is a problem here.
Could you tell me which configuration file I’ve to modifiy to activate MWI ?

Thanks.