Asterisk transcodeing

Hi All,

Aparently one of the main issues limiting Asterisk from scaling to large implementations is transcoding.

We all know that Asterisk uses “signed linear” as its internal Codec format, where it needs to transcode both legs of any call (inbound and outbound) into this signed linear format.

Is there away to switch this behaviour off so that Asterisk stops transcoding into and outof signed linear at lest when both bridged voice channels are using the same Codec?

Much appreciated.

Yes, try set the parameter “transcode_via_sln” of the file asterisk.conf to no.

Cheers.

Marco Bruni

Hi,

This whole [options] section in asterisk.conf is hashed out, so you mean to say that the default setting for transcode_via_sln = yes?

Is it as simple as change to = no? Does that mean Asterisk will not be doing any transcoding?

Cheers

Yesmat, please read what Ianplain said about transcode_via_sln, post forums.digium.com/viewtopic.php?t=21877 .
If I’m not wrong a change in asterisk.conf require a restart of Asterisk, also do not forget to uncomment the options section.

Cheers.

Marco Bruni

Hi,

Yes I read this post before, it didn’t make sense at that time, but now after reading it couple of times. I think i will switch that default behavior off restart Asterisk and keep an eye on voice quality.

Thanks