Asterisk system goes offline for incoming calls

Hello,

We are using asterisk v1-0-5/14/05 in production and testing asterisk cvs-head on another test server. We are using zap channels
(Digium TDM 400 for both) for all incoming and outgoing calls for both. We are using sip phones on the internal network. While all outbound calls work and all internal calls work (sip to sip), I have noticed that asterisk will periodically go offline for inbound calls for this interface (zap) on both systems. We usually find out because people calling report that the inbound number just rings and rings.

Restarting the server definately corrects the problem. I’ve also tried restarting asterisk but this doesn’t seem to work. Are there any log files which could help us isolate the problem. I’m also wondering if there might be a way to restart the zap channel interface. Finally any type of notification to let us know when this happens would be very helpful. I am a relative newbie to asterisk. TIA for any help that would be much appreciated.

Bill Morris

I don’t know much about the TDM400 and i’ve never used it, but the fact that you have to restart the server to fix the problem and that it’s not a problem that’s commonly reported, suggests it might be something like an interrupt getting lost somewhere and seems likely to be a hardware compatibility problem.

Depending on what server hardware you’re running, it may be worth trying it on a different hardware platform and see if you still have the same problem.

Another thing you could try is to plug out the phone lines and putting them back in. If that resolves the problem for the interm please let me know because i have a similar problem

Thanks for the replies on this. I thought this might be a tough one. I’ll try unplugging the lines and see if this helps. Definately sounds like a hardware issue of some type.

I am having the same problem with TDM running on Fedora Core. If I Kill the root process so it restarts then that clears the problem for a bit. One of the things I noticed in asterisk -r is below:

-- Executing WaitExten("Zap/2-1", "5") in new stack
-- Timeout on Zap/2-1, continuing...
-- Executing Goto("Zap/2-1", "mainmenu|s|1") in new stack
-- Goto (mainmenu,s,1)
-- Executing Answer("Zap/2-1", "") in new stack
-- Executing Wait("Zap/2-1", "1") in new stack
-- Executing BackGround("Zap/2-1", "tlab-main") in new stack
-- Playing 'tlab-main' (language 'en')
-- Executing Goto("Zap/2-1", "mainmenu|s|1") in new stack
-- Goto (mainmenu,s,1)
-- Executing Answer("Zap/2-1", "") in new stack
-- Executing Wait("Zap/2-1", "1") in new stack
-- Executing BackGround("Zap/2-1", "tlab-main") in new stack
-- Playing 'tlab-main' (language 'en')

and this never stops. Any ideas?

tk

that is just the phone calls going through the server, i might have a patch that n guy werote that could work but i havent tested it yet, do you want to try it out. I will forward the mail to you if you want

Problem is, there are no calls being placed as far as I know. Of course I can’t be certain sense the phones in any of the offices are not ringing but this shows up even in the middle of the night when I know we are not getting one phone call after another. Like I said, this is continuous, one right after another, non-stop.

tk