Asterisk is cutting off H.264 profile headers

Hi all,
I am using Asterisk 13.23 with PJSIP channel driver. Endpoints A and B are configured on it.
When endpoint A places a video call to endpoint B, I observe the following:
(A) sends INVITE to Asterisk, announcing H.264 along with its video profile in profile-level-id field:

However, Asterisk sends to (B) INVITE with profile-level-id stripped:

This obviously results in poor video quality.

H.264 is allowed for both endpoints. In global config, it is stated maxcallbitrate=4096 , and changing this parameter does not affect Asterisk’s behaviour.

Could you tell me whether it is a bug or there is a way to configure sending H.264 profiles in outgoing INVITEs?

Thanks.

We should pass through the attributes, but you haven’t given the full scenario. As well “maxcallbitrate” is not a valid option in PJSIP.

1 Like

@jcolp,
The scenario is a simple point-to-point video call from YealinkT49G through Asterisk to an MCU.
As seen from the traces, not all the parameters are passed through - specifically, profile-level-id is stripped off. Please let me know which additional information / configuration I should provide.

There’s no additional configuration required - but even saying “a simple point-to-point video call” isn’t good enough. For example is a Local channel involved? Is it a straight PJSIP channel into the dialplan which executes Dial? These details can matter, and help isolate where the problem may be.

I should also add that we don’t currently support multiple instances of the same codec like that in SDP, we will accept only one. That may be a variable in things.

Only PJSIP channels are involved at both sides.
Dial invokes PJSIP directly.

Then I’d suggest filing an issue[1] with the COMPLETE configuration and SIP traces. It may be something specific to the SDP, as we do have test coverage on attribute passthrough for that scenario[2]. Is there another H264 in the SDP that you left out in your limited data?

[1] https://issues.asterisk.org/jira
[2] https://github.com/asterisk/testsuite/blob/master/tests/channels/pjsip/sdp_offer_answer/attribute_passthrough/speex_h263_h264/sipp/phone_A_h264.xml#L30

Yes.
Please find it below. As you can see, three H.264 sections are announced by the originating party.

Then I do not know why it would not be getting passed through, but could be something specific to the SDP.

Should I raise an issue in JIRA, attaching configuration and traces?

Yes, but as always there is no time frame on when it would get looked into.