Asterisk Fails

We are a new installation and have been running asterisk Asterisk 1.8.6.0 for a few weeks at multiple sites. All is fantastic except Asterisk has failed twice. I have noticed that both failures have occurred while I was in /var/log/asterisk/messages via VIM.

Potential Solution: Don’t VIM /var/log/messages… :astonished:

However, this is only a theory. Has anyone else encountered this? Is this a known (or obvious) issue?

I have not proved this but we are currently running a controlled test in our test lab to prove/disprove this scenario.

/var/log/messages is so loosely connected with Asterisk that your theory doesn’t make sense.

If it is crashing you need to obtain the backtrace, preferably from an unoptimised build.

In /etc/asterisk/logger.conf please make sure that the line for full reads:
full => notice,warning,error,debug,verbose,dtmf,fax

Do a module reload on logger and check for further details on this

Hi

Logging does crash servers, Running full logging on a busy server will bring it down, seen it happen a few times.
As to full logging only use this to debug a problem otherwise just use messages.

Im guessing by locking the file with vim it also causes issues similar to doing a ctrl s on the console screen. there is no need to use vim to look at a log file use cat more or tail.

Ian

If anything logs /var/log/messages, it is syslogd, not Asterisk. Asterisk doesn’t normally use the syslog mechanism.

UPDATE: I believe the problem was solved by setting SELINUX=disabled in /etc/selinux/config