Asterisk doesn't see dahdi

After a kernel update to 2.6.32-35-server (UBUNTU) and wanting to update DAHDI, I compiled dahdi-linux-complete-2.5.0.1+2.5.0.1. When I ran “make config” I got a lot of warnings that scripts were not configured for UPSTART. Asterisk runs non-root.

Dahdi installed correctly (verified by dahdi_tool). However Asterisk doesn’t “see” dahdi and I cannot check dahdi from within Asterisk (phones are live but no dial-tone). The following is the warning I get:

[Nov 10 12:16:09] WARNING[9450]: chan_dahdi.c:4226 dahdi_open: Unable to open ‘/dev/dahdi/channel’: Permission denied
[Nov 10 12:16:09] ERROR[9450]: chan_dahdi.c:12132 mkintf: Unable to open channel 1: Permission denied
here = 0, tmp->channel = 1, channel = 1
[Nov 10 12:16:09] ERROR[9450]: chan_dahdi.c:16522 build_channels: Unable to register channel ‘1’

I’m not a total Linus newbie but am still learning both Linux administration as well as Asterisk. What I’m seeing now is a total departure from my past experience with DAHDI and Asterisk. In the past after a kernel update, recompile and re-installing DAHDI has been sufficient.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

What are the permissions on /dev/dahdi?

Do an ‘ls -ld /dev/dahdi’

If the owner is not the user running the asterisk process, you need to change them.

as root, run the command…
chown -R asterisk:asterisk /dev/dahdi

Of course, if your asterisk user and group are different, change the above line appropriately.

If the problem continues after a restart of the system, you should add that command to the dahdi startup script.