Are globals thread-safe?

Hi!

Does someone know whether Asterisk’s global variables are thread-safe?

I wish to read and write from within the dialplan and from the outside. The background is that I have a service provider who rotates his proxy servers in the background and doesn’t maintain the state of registrations. New calls may fail with 403 and a couple of other stupid things happen as well. The idea is basically to monitor the priorities of their proxy servers, send an unregister followed by a register when there are no ongoing calls and block new calls with a global variable which is supposed to act as a flag. The process of registration may take a few seconds, so I need to signal the current state. Not perfect, but could make life a bit easier.

They can be accessed and manipulated by multiple things at once, yes, but they are not locked. That is: A write followed by a read may produce a different result than what was written if something in between altered it.

Deleted. Wrong conclusion based on finding very old copy of source file.

There is a lock held internally during that time, so you can’t read in between the delete and add.

Sorry, you are right. I found a very old version when searching by function name.

Understood and I can live with the restriction as there are at most 2 alterations per hour. I think this approach still reduces the number of failed calls.

BTW, thank you for solving the login issue.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.