Am I a dreamer?

Hello all!

I have a vision, but before I go into that, let me tell you of our past. We have an extremely antique phone system that no one supports, save one guy. (No one else in the local market) The problem is that this guy flakes and leaves us in a bind.

Administration refuses to spend much money on a new solution.

I love new technology and am unafraid to dive off the deep end.

Enter -> Asterisk!

Can Asterisk do this:
[ul]- Use existing analog phones

• Setup a “traditional” fax line
  • Integrate with another PBX solution (So we can share extensions)
  • Change the forwarding of a phone remotely
  • Check Voicemail remotely
  • Log after hour calls, along with forwarding them[/ul]

My vision is to launch Asterisk for our department, followed by other larger departments. It’s my belief that Asterisk will save us from expensive upgrades, give us power to change things ourselves, and also give us the option to get support if we get in over our head.

Please let me know if Asterisk is a good hybrid solution for our company.

Thank you!

James

Hi,

I’ll try to answer to your questions…
you’ll be able to connect your analog phones and your fax line to LAN using ATAs (Analog Terminal Adapter). It’s possible integrate Asterisk with an analog PBX (you can find infos about how to integrate * with your analog PBX on www.voip-info.org). Asterisk is very flexible solution and surely supports every function of your old PBX…and it’s free! Great choice!

Bye,
Giulio

In my opinion it is not worth using current analog phones. With the price (on the hardware side) for every FXS port you can get a simple VOIP phone that will make things a lot easier (call forwarding, MOH, DND etc.).

I agree!

Yes - Use existing analog phones

how many analog phones you have? there are 24 fxs card from digium. if it is still not engough, it is easy to find some gateways to expand. such as shang332 32 fxs gateway.

Yes- Setup a “traditional” fax line

• Integrate with another PBX solution (So we can share extensions)
    Yes- Change the forwarding of a phone remotely
    Yes- Check Voicemail remotely
    Yes- Log after hour calls, along with forwarding them

the only question is what’s the relation between your old PBX and this asterisk?

how to dial from the PBX’s extension to asterisk?

when the customer call from pstn, which system will handle it?

www.telecomchinasourcing.com/knowledge