Adding a SIP user

Hello

I feel very very stupid for not figuring this out :frowning:

This is my first time using Asterisk, Iā€™ve used AsteriskNOW to see what Asterisk is all about, Anyways I installed Asterisk on CentOS 4.4 using the following commands:

./configure
make
make install
make samples

I started reading the book called: ā€œAsteriskAFOTā€ and I decided to add an SIP user so I delete the contents of sip.conf that was made by the ā€œmake samplesā€ command and replaced it with the content in the book:

ā€œ[general]
context=default
srvlookup=yes
[john]
type=friend
secret=welcome
qualify=yes ; Qualify peer is no more than 2000 ms away
nat=no ; This phone is not natted
host=dynamic ; This device registers with us
canreinvite=no ; Asterisk by default tries to redirect
context=internal ; the internal context controls what we can doā€

I configured the Linksys RTP300 with the username as: ā€œjohnā€ and for the password I put: ā€œwelcomeā€ , but the device does not connect to the server :frowning: I tried the same device with AsteriskNOW and it connected to it.

What can I be doing wrong?

Thank You

try adding username=john

When I woke up this morning the line 1 light on my rtp300 was on, I wonder why it took such a long time to connect, anyways its good that it works now :smile:

The light went off on the device for no reason :frowning:, I decided to try with xten and xten says: ā€œAwaiting proxy login informationā€ what can I be doing wrong?

Please guys, give me any suggestions and I will try.

When a device registers to Asterisk, you will see the registration on the cli, so start asterisk with asterisk -rvvvvvvvvv (or -cvvvvvvvvv), then you will see when/how/if the registration fails.