A few softball questions. HELP A NOOB

I stumbled onto this amazing software by accident and it is much more powerful than I would need. I would like to setup a way for people to call each other from pc to pc (but if they could use a regular phone instead of speaking inot a mic that would be a great). I would like a piece of software running like an instant messenger and you just pick a name out of the list and it dials them. My understanding is this works by dialing their IP. Since IP’s change would my instant-messenger-like software need to update a database with everyone’s IP each time each user connected ?

This is a school project. A broad explanation would be mighty appreciated.

For what you are looking to do something like the Gizmo Project (jivesoftware.org).

This would give you presence information with Asterisk based on XMPP. As far as click to dial from an IM style interface, I am not familir with one that does it out of the box in conjunction with Asterisk.

Good luck!

Damn it, gizmo is exactly what I want LOL. Its a programming project so I do need some original code. I can’t just use gizmo. How hard do you think it would be to write gizmo ?

You may think about developing your own XMPP/Jingle client around GTalk:

google.com/talk/

code.google.com/apis/talk/index.html

Or, be my hero, and develop a new channel for Asterisk supporting Jingle!

What exactly woudl building another client do ? Just give the user a different interface to connect to the google talk network ?

Well, if anyone used it, otherwise it gives you something to do for your school project. Keep in mind that Jingle is an open standard and not unique to the GTalk network, just started by GTalk/Google.

Well, if anyone used it, otherwise it gives you something to do for your school project. Keep in mind that Jingle is an open standard and not unique to the GTalk network, just started by GTalk/Google.[/quote]

Ah, I dont know what jingle is. I’ll get more informed on the subject. Are you gonna be around much ?

I would like my own backbone if I can pull it off.

forums.digium.com/viewtopic.php?t=4025