1.2.14 -> 1.4.0, now having DTMF issues

I’m in the process of testing 1.4.0 on a system that has been successfully running 1.2.x for some time now. I have a mix of PAP2-NA’s and softphones connected. When using 1.4.0, DTMF tones are not being recognized except within Asterisk’s voicemail and custom prompts we’ve made.

Returning to 1.2.15 fixes the problem. It looks like something is up with 1.4.0. I’m using dtmfmode=info on my PAP2-NA’s (which are also configured for “info”). My gateway to the PSTN is a Lucent TNT using dtmfmode=rfc2833.

The firmware revision of the PAP2 doesn’t seem to matter. I have some running 3.1.10, 3.1.12, 3.1.20, and others still on the old 2.x series.

Any suggestions? For now, the fix (for me anyway) seems to be to go back to 1.2.15.

Can you change your PAP2 to use rfc2833 and test?

Thanks for the reply! I tried rfc2833 as well as inband over a ulaw channel on the PAP2-NA’s as well, with no success.

That’s really strange, because I have Asterisk 1.4 configured to use rfc2833 with my provider and I’ve tested my PAP2 (v1) with both INFO and rfc2833 methods. I do have problems with PAP2 v2 and VTech, but it’s a separate story :confused:

I suppose you should enable dtmf messages on the console end enable sip debug for both parties - PAP2 and provider’s trunk. After this it may be usefull to capture some data using tcpdump and see how tones are really sent.

[quote=“Funar”]I’m in the process of testing 1.4.0 on a system that has been successfully running 1.2.x for some time now. I have a mix of PAP2-NA’s and softphones connected. When using 1.4.0, DTMF tones are not being recognized except within Asterisk’s voicemail and custom prompts we’ve made.

Returning to 1.2.15 fixes the problem. It looks like something is up with 1.4.0. I’m using dtmfmode=info on my PAP2-NA’s (which are also configured for “info”). My gateway to the PSTN is a Lucent TNT using dtmfmode=rfc2833.

The firmware revision of the PAP2 doesn’t seem to matter. I have some running 3.1.10, 3.1.12, 3.1.20, and others still on the old 2.x series.

Any suggestions? For now, the fix (for me anyway) seems to be to go back to 1.2.15.[/quote]

Try latest SVN or wait for 1.4.1, there are many bugs presents in 1.4.0 that now are corrected.

What is the current status?
I’m using 1.4.2 and to me it also appears as if dtmf bridging from SIP devices is broken:

Both IAX2 and SIP phones can access asterisk dtmf build in functions, like accessing voice mail menu.

However, only IAX2 phones registered to asterisk can sent dtmf to the outside world (in my case IAX2 and H323 trunks) , whereas SIP phones connected to asterisk can’t.