Which phones take advantage of most Asterisk features?

I’m in a very tough debate here with my partner on which phones to get for a small 20 person office.

We’re looking at the following phones.

For the 6 tech support staff … Polycom 430 or Aastra 480I

And for the Managers and Executives Polycom 601s or Sisco 7960s

However I’m hearing that many of the Sisco phones can’t take advantage of advanced Asterisk features… Is this true?

[quote]I’m in a very tough debate here with my partner on which phones to get for a small 20 person office.

We’re looking at the following phones.

For the 6 tech support staff … Polycom 430 or Aastra 480I

And for the Managers and Executives Polycom 601s or Sisco 7960s

However I’m hearing that many of the Sisco phones can’t take advantage of advanced Asterisk features… Is this true?[/quote]

Hey there princem3,

When it comes to asterisk, there are so many different possiablites that will work with any given situation. You just have to know how to program and use those funtions. The Cisco phones will most likely have the most features but you will pay for them. The polycom is most likely a better bet for the price, and the Aastra is a good buy if your fimilair with the Nortel system. Aastra specializes in the ablilty to customize all of their buttons to do what ever you need it too. I would also check out the SPA-942 phone it is good price and has alot of the same functions if not more than the IP430.

I suppose the better question is what features are you looking to use, and which ones are you not?

One thing to consider, especially for support staff is if the phone supports a (decent) headset without an amplifier. This is the reason I went with Cisco 7941’s for regular staff and 7961’s for management.

All I install are Polycom phones and they don’t need an amplifier for the headset. At the moment I’m using a Grandstream GXP-2000 and boy do I miss my Polycom 501 (I need to get my PoE cable back).