What is the *real* status of G.722 support?

I find encouraging that this web page claims that the level of support of Asterisk for G.711 and G.722 are the same.

asteriskpbx.com/support/features

Can anyone confirm/deny that?

I say that sounds like future support, coming down the pipeline.

Either that, or there is a typo and it should read:

G.722 (passthough only)

-Ramon

[quote=“RamonFHerrera”]I find encouraging that this web page claims that the level of support of Asterisk for G.711 and G.722 are the same.

asteriskpbx.com/support/features

Can anyone confirm/deny that?

I say that sounds like future support, coming down the pipeline.

Either that, or there is a typo and it should read:

G.722 (passthough only)

-Ramon[/quote]

Dear Self:

You are right, as usual. Here’s the full scoop.

blogs.eweek.com/signaling_it/con … tions.html
tinyurl.com/2j7ghm

-Ramon

Howdy,

Try the 1.6 beta, or a release out of SVN trunk if you need transcoding support.

Cheers.

[quote=“malcolmd”]Howdy,

Try the 1.6 beta, or a release out of SVN trunk if you need transcoding support.

Cheers.[/quote]

Any word or guesstimate on when will 1.6 be officially out?

TIA,

-Ramon

ps: when I say “G.722 support” I am more precisely referring to “Polycom support” as I don’t know any other phone with wideband codecs.

It’s going to be a while before 1.6.X is out. I am personally still on 1.2.X. “It it aint broken then don’t fix it”. Last time it took a lil while for 1.4.X to come out from beta to a release. In short don’t hold your breath.

In that case, I may go with the SVN download. I guess I will need an SVN client. :-\

-Ramon

ps: 1.2!? U kidding me? Talk about procrastination, dude… My migration to 1.4 was completely smooth.

[quote=“RamonFHerrera”]

ps: 1.2!? U kidding me? Talk about procrastination, dude… My migration to 1.4 was completely smooth.[/quote]

I can’t afford to have issues with 100+ live clients. When I have time I will run a test on 1.4.X till then…

FreeSWITCH can do G722 @ 16k and Speex @ 32k without any problem.

Just a little FYI.

/b