What is the point?

Gentlemen,

I am using Asterisk for my personal use for several years. I have advanced college degree in technical field, in non software area. To this point I managed to make a good use of this software and I am very appreciative of it.

It seems however, that it is getting harder and harder for a non-professional in the field of software engineering like myself to make the new versions of Asterisk to work.

I wonder what is the point of posting products that are non-functional?

This product seems intended for a narrow circle of professionals, who can finish what is needed to make the installation work.

I decided it is time for me to use a different means to keep in touch with my friends.

I am very appreciative of the years I was able to use this software, I regret, I am not able to continue, and I wish everybody involved in the project the very best.

Regards,

Jerry Tyman,

Since you haven’t come to the forums to ask for help, nor have you elaborated on your particular problems, people here would not be able to offer much of assistance.

Your claims that it is not a functional product are false. This product is used by many and in some very large organizations.

I have not found asterisk that difficult to install nor configure.

Easiest method is to install CentOS 5.6 and do a yum install for asterisk from the repos.

Building it from the sources are not much trouble either. Then as for configuring asterisk there is a great book that happens to be available for download that will help you learn all that you should need to know. Asterisk - The Future of Telephony http://www.asteriskdocs.org/.

It is not how ever a DVD player. Plug it in the wall, drop in a DVD and push play. There is plenty of configuration and getting it right is important.

recently i saw many ppost complaining about asterisk, but i think the problem comes with the people who bealive its very professional just for press next next next and finally install button.

I found more complicated install Nagios than asterisk. please guys if you dont want to read the confs files, search in google or learn how to. pay for th support. asterisk its a very functional software, just like in life dnt run before know how to walk.

What is the point of creating a forums account just to make a first post that reads like the one by the individual that started this thread? :wink: