Voip setup, asterisk going now what?

i setup a test setup of asterisk using a regular computer, and x100 card($9). i would like to get a full voip setup going across my moderatly sized network, i currently have a single data t1. for supplying voice to my network i am thinking of either:

1. voice t1(24 channels, i dont know cost, maybe around ~600?)
  2. VoIP trunk lines(another t1+13voip lines, $600/m)
    i dont know which is better.
    what kindof laws is there for voip providers in the US, i assume i need e911, can the voIP trunk lines do this?, can the t1?
    is there any other legal obligations?
    How would i route phone numbers to customers(currently i only know extensions on asterisk)?
    and finally, for a server i already have a dual athlon mp 2200+ system with 1gb ecc pc2100, i was reading
    http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+setup+medium+office+100
    the part about the ram, 2gb, 1gb necessary if restarted every week, does asterisk really need to be restarted often?

thanks, i hope this isnt too many questions in one post.

It’s probably not too many questions for one post, but I don’t think you’ll get any answers to any of your questions here.

This is a forum for people looking for hints/tips/help with Asterisk systems that they have setup.

Your questions are all about creating your business plan, and FCC regulations, to possibly setup a business and become a VOIP provider.

Your questions fall far outside of the scope of this forum.

May I suggest consulting the FCC at www.fcc.gov , and a good business manager.

ok then how about just the asterisk part:

[quote]and finally, for a server i already have a dual athlon mp 2200+ system with 1gb ecc pc2100, i was reading
voip-info.org/tiki-index.php … office+100
the part about the ram, 2gb, 1gb necessary if restarted every week, does asterisk really need to be restarted often? [/quote]

By and large I’ve found that I have to restart the Asterisk Services (zaptel and asterisk together) about once a week, but I’m not using a machine configured the same as yours.

There are no real “standards” for these things. It really depends on how you’ve configured the server, and how much you’re asking it to do. Voicemail is a processor/storage intensive application. Prepaid calling cards are not. You yourself are the best judge of when a system would need a re-start.

If you have one Asterisk server for SIP registrations, one for voicemail, another for the database, etc, it might not require any restarts at all. If you put it all on one box, then it might need to be restarted nightly…

I would reccomend that you do some benchmark testing yourself to demonstrate how long an Asterisk server can last.

Software and systems are available to test VOIP telecom systems. (Such as a Hammer system from www.empirix.com ). If you’re going to be a service provider, you should make sure your systems are as bullet proof as possible.