VoIP for international office connectivity?

Hi,

I want to connect a small office in Asia with a UK office via VoIP. I will be handling calls from one location in the UK. The asian office will be located in either Thailand or the Philippines (because of location - has to be close to where I live and have reasonable connectivity).

On the UK side I have a company who will send me calls via the internet with VoIP. So I just have to worry about the asian side.

I’ll take a broadband connection which is not shared (a business connection in the language of this part of the world). To start with I’d have a 512kbps/512kps broadband connection (this is not Europe!).

I understand I will get about 13 reasonable quality simultaneous conversations on this bandwith with G729 codec. I will have only five operators to start with. Will this be OK?

I will need to distribute incoming calls to my operators in rotation, considering when an operator is free, etc. Is this something which can be done using asterisk or do I need one or more other products? Can asterisk handle and address multiple head/hand sets?

I’m concerned about latency. Does anyone know what is the latency likely to be from the UK to Thailand or the Philippines? Is a conversation going to sound natural or jittery?

Apart from a server and headsets is there any other hardware I should have?

On another forum I saw someone had linked audio samples for G729 codec and others for comparision. But the link was dead. Doses anyone know where I can find such audio samples?

Thanks very much for any any help or suggestions.

Regards

Neil

Neil,

• can do manage you calls as you wish, using several features such as call queues, ring groups, agents etc - there are several approaches!

With connectivity, you could have the server in the UK and the operators connect remotely, you could have a server in each county, inter connected, or just a server locally in Asia.

I looking at the server in Asia, you need to look at/clarify how the calls are going to be sent from the UK ‘via VOIP’.

As far as connectivity, in the ideal world, you would need more that 512/512, however, for the 5 user start, it should suffice. Alway budget for more capacity than you really need! As for latency, I thing the only way to find out is to try, no matter what people may calculate/say - it will be as good as your ISP gives you!

I hope this helps!

Bins

[quote=“bins”]Neil,

• can do manage you calls as you wish, using several features such as call queues, ring groups, agents etc - there are several approaches!
    [/quote]

Great to hear those features are all part of asterisk.

I can’t touch the UK setup at all. Somehow they are going to send me VoIP streams. I have yet to clarify exactly how this will happen except that I require two internet addresses (dotted decimal) at the Asian side.

I looking at the server in Asia, you need to look at/clarify how the calls are going to be sent from the UK ‘via VOIP’.

That is what I am afraid of!

Thank you very much for taking time to reply.

Regs

Neil